cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Anyone able to use TeamViewer on 5G Home Broadband?

Trying to access a Mac that's on 5G from outside.

Presume either CGNAT issue or the Nokia modem is doing something funky blocking ports.

Has anyone got Teamviewer to work?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Tom2222
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone able to use TeamViewer on 5G Home Broadband?

All the time, Windows to Windows though.

Never had an issue, never had to change anything on the Nokia either.

Do you receive an error message and has it worked in the past?
0 Kudos
5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it’s worked fine on other NBN connections. 

Is your computer on 5G the passive computer or the controlling computer?

0 Kudos
Tom2222
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Home computer is on Optus 5G (Nokia) directly plugged in.
Laptop would be either Telstra 4G, whatever Wifi the site has, or even at home directly connected to the Nokia or over its Wifi.
Works in reverse as well, can connect to my Laptop from the Home computer.

On the remote computer, do a connect then check the log file Extras > Open Log Files. Scroll to the bottom for the last connection attempt. Timestamps and some other data removed to make it easier to read.

On the Host (5G Nokia connected):

4100 3912 S0 Activating Router Carrier
4100 3912 S0 CommandHandlerRouting[188]::CreatePassiveSession(): incoming session via AU-SYD-ANX-R008.teamviewer.com, protocol Tcp
4100 3912 S0 CTcpConnectionBase[197]::ConnectEndpoint(): Connecting to endpoint REMOVED:5938
4100 5112 S0 CToken::GetSystemToken() set session 1
4100 5112 S0 ProcessControlBase[4]: Start Desktop process in session 1, pid 30020
4100 5108 S0 Negotiating session encryption: client hello received from REMOVED, RSA key length = 2048
4100 5108 S0 Negotiating session encryption: client hello received from REMOVED, RSA key length = 2048
4100 5108 S0 Negotiating session encryption: server hello sent
4100 5116 S0 Negotiating session encryption: client handshake received
4100 5116 S0 Negotiating session encryption: client handshake received
4100 5116 S0 Negotiating session encryption: server handshake sent, encryption established with AES key length 256
4100 5116 S0 NegotiateEncryptionV2::CreateEncryption: handshake successful, local fingerprint: SHA256:REMOVED, remote fingerprint SHA256:REMOVED
4100 5112 S0 CParticipantManagerBase::SetMyParticipantIdentifier(): pid=[REMOVED]
4100 5112 S0 ConnectionGuard: incoming remote control in sessions: 1(1)

On the Remote:

3120 4556 S0 Activating Router Carrier
3120 4556 S0 CommandHandlerRouting[3]::CreateActiveSession(): outgoing session to REMOVED via AU-SYD-ANX-R008.teamviewer.com, protocol Tcp
3120 4556 S0 CTcpConnectionBase[4]::ConnectEndpoint(): Connecting to endpoint REMOVED:5938
3120 4560 S0 Negotiating session encryption: server hello received
3120 4552 S0 UHP.DNS Resolution failed with system:11004:The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found!
3120 4548 S0 Negotiating session encryption: server handshake received, encryption established with AES key length 256
3120 4548 S0 NegotiateEncryptionV2::CreateEncryption: handshake successful, local fingerprint: SHA256:REMOVED, remote fingerprint SHA256:REMOVED
6352 7440 G1 CLoginClient::NegotiateVersionClient()
6352 7432 G1 LoginOutgoing: starting authentication

As you can see, this is just the start of the session, the logfile will show lots of other stuff when it connects.

5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Will check the logs.
0 Kudos
5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Here's the log file showing the connection attempt failed to a Mac connected to 5G via Nokia.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.01.19 am.jpg

0 Kudos
Tom2222
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Are you just trying to connect just using the TV ID or are they part of your account as Computers & Contacts and show Online?

If I look at those TV ID's they both say offline and not connected.
Are you able to login to TV and see each other in the list?
You can mix accounts if you add it as a Contact in each.

Your TV version is a bit old too MAC is at 15.19.3, PC is at 15.19.5

From the looks of things you are not connecting via the TeamViewer server and trying to go direct to the IP, which will not work with CGNAT, you need to go via the TV server for this to work, aka login to the TV server with the App.

TV does have free non commercial licensing.
5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Are you just trying to connect just using the TV ID or are they part of your account as Computers & Contacts and show Online?

Using the TV ID - that's how I've been using TV for years

If I look at those TV ID's they both say offline and not connected.
Are you able to login to TV and see each other in the list?

Never used TV that way, but I can try. Always just punched in the TV ID and password to connect.

Your TV version is a bit old too MAC is at 15.19.3, PC is at 15.19.5

Updating manually now. Auto updates clearly not working!

From the looks of things you are not connecting via the TeamViewer server and trying to go direct to the IP, which will not work with CGNAT

Thanks for confirming that. Never used a TV server. How do I do that? Didn't know there were different modes. 

Do both devices need to "Login" to use TV via a server?

0 Kudos
Tom2222
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I generally use TV Accounts with the site computers, and add them to my list.

For most of the remote stuff I do, they appear under the 1 Account as a list.
TV.jpg

I add Devices as Computers for different TV accounts, Authorize them on the remote end, normally sent to the email associated to the Account and they appear in my list too. You can add complete accounts and assign an Alias so you don't need to remember the TV ID i.e. Desktop near Middle Door etc. 
I did have a stack of others in my list, but with Covid Lockdown, most of the other Non-Profits shutdown for good, so I removed them recently.

Both Remote and Host need to be logged into TV, normally I just set that up on install to Auto Start/Login. So I can see on my list if the device is alive or not, that way I can just right click on the device and select Remote control (using password) or File Transfer etc. This will use the TV servers for the connection aka TV server and not direct IP connection.

I find this the best way to get around various NATs/Firewalls without having to fiddle with Opening Ports, checking to see if you have a Public IP or not. The only time I've really used direct TV ID connections is on a clear network internally, then even that is messy having to get the end user to tell me their TV ID.

I did see one of your devices pop up before lunch but it didn't last long, so I assume you logged in to TV. 😉

0 Kudos
5gsyd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that.

So basically I need to Sign In to avoid using point to point with TV ID. And so will the user that's on 5G Home.

Does that mean that all the traffic will be routed through TV rather than going point to point, which is why it will even work with CGNAT?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors