Heading into a store to sign up for a new service? Here is what you’ll need to take in with you.

If you are signing up for a new service you will need to provide 100 points of ID & proof of address. You can choose from a range of ID documents as outlined in the Accepted ID section below.

You will need also need to bring:

  • For ABN you will need your Australian Business Number (ABN).
  • If you are trading under an Australian Company Number (ACN) you will need:
    • ACN
    • Letter of Authority (If you are not the director)
    • Business card
    • Proof of trading history ( if applying for more than 4 services)
  • If you are transferring your service from another telecommunications provider you will need your latest bill.
Accepted ID
Category A (70 Points)

For ALL states

  • Drivers Licence
  • Current Passport (Australian or Overseas)
  • Current proof of age card (Please note: if you are using a proof of age, a current Medicare card is mandatory)
  • Shooter’s Licence or Firearm Licence
  • Australian Learners Permit
  • Australian Boating Licence
  • KeyPass
  • Blind Citizens Australia Identity Card 70 N
  • Armed Forces Service Identification
  • Australian Military ID
  • Australian Defence Force Driver’s Licence
  • Australian Police identification (State or Federal)

NT Only

  • Working with Children Ochre card (NT Only)

ACT Only

  • Working with Vulnerable People Permit (ACT Only)


  • Vision Impaired Transport Concession card
  • Working With Children permit
Category B (30 Points)
  • Medicare card (Please note: if you are using a proof of age, a current Medicare card is mandatory)
  • Current credit/debit card
  • Pensioners transport concession car
  • Existing Optus Postpaid Customer Account and /
  • or Service Number
  • Australian Pensioner Concession card Veteran’s Affairs or Aged Pension (40 points)
  • New Start (NS in the bottom right corner of the card) is now accepted
  • Other Australian Pensioner Concession cards
  • Government Issued Health Care Card with Current address
  • Australian Veteran Affairs Card or Repatriation Health Card
  • Valid Tertiary Student ID Card
  • Private Health Insurance Card
  • Full Australian Birth Certificate
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Australian Marriage Certificate
  • Taxi Licence (with photo)
  • Valid DFAT issued Diplomat Card with photo

Issued with the last 30 days

  • Bank statement with current address
  • Mortgage documents with current address
  • Current Rental Agreement/Bond Notice with current Address
  • Current Vehicle Registration with current address

Issued within the last 90 days

  • Most Recent Telco/Utility bill with current address
  • Bank statement with current address
  • Current Rates Notice with current address

Back to Top