Searching...

Mobile

why must i connect to a network?

FINISH

i have a prepaid dongle i simply push into a USB port on my laptop.
Which is great however it forces me to join a network.
ive never opted to join one nor want to be in a network.
People can hack and do hack my computer and use my my internet credit.
But i cannot get out of this freaking network no matter what i do.
HELP

Ideally i'd prepay the amount of internet i need and noone else can access it but me.
Thats what i want but my laptop forces me to be in a network if want to use my internet.

Re: why must i connect to a network?

petergdownload

The network you mention is basically your own machine and the dongle.

Moving information (data) around devices requires each device in the process to have an "address". Your machine has one and it nows the usb dongle and that has one. Connect the two and you have a "network". The dongle then sends information to the tower (with its own address) which sends the data to optus headquarters (another address) then to anywhat between 1 and 20 other devices as the data is routed to the computer you need to get information off (which might be sitting in a basement in Peru). Then that data is sent all the way back it came (often buy a different route too) until it gets back to your PC. (That this happens in under a second is one of the great unappreciated wonders of our times IMO)

In a nutshell though, the very act of joining the internet means you are now on a "network"

Regards

Peter Gillespie

FINISH

so anyone with a laptop is free to spend all day hacking into my internet account?
That's garbage.
Particulrly when there are programs available to do so.
I apparently used 6 gb yesterday simply by having the dongle in the side of my laptop.
I would like a better answer to my question rather than a history of the internet if anyone has one

Highlighted

petergdownload

And we hadn't even covered ARPANET Smiley Happy To be fair I answered the question you asked (Why must I connect to a network?) The trick here is to get to the nub of the issue (for you)

If you want to use the internet you must 'connect to a network'. That can be made more secure though. You mention 'other programs being available'. Do you have an example? 

FWIW hackers don't generally spend all day attacking peoples PCs (they've got better things to do). Usually people acidentally install something themselves that opens it up. Even then compromised systems don't just drain Gbs of data (too obvious) and instead there's just a slow steady drain on resources you usually don't notice.

So some things to do:

1. Do you have an antivirus installed?

2. You can take the PC offline by turning it off when not in use, unplug the dongle or there should be a disconnect option via the operating system (are you using Windows?)

3. The 6Gb should be investigated. Its very unlikely to be a hacker but much more likely to be some inadvertant process you have on your device. I assume you were'nt streaming a lot? Netflix? YouTube? Dropbox? Apple is notorious for syncing lots in the background.

4. Do you have to type in a password on the dongle. Does it have any settings you can access? Perhaps change the password?

5. You should enable 2 factor authentication on your important accounts (your email account and your bank account). This means that if anyone tries to steal info and log into these accounts a SMS is sent to your phone with a unique PIN that is needed to actually log in.

Anyway, perhaps provide some more details on what has actually happened and others might be able to offer better assistance.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
15 Kudos
13 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos