cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor troyf
New Contributor

Wireless home broadband all of a sudden now very slow

Hi everyone

I have a Huawei E5186 modem I use under a home wireless broadband plan. It normally has a relatively good connection and upload/download speed. However the past three weeks the performance has reduced drastically (ie taking 2-3 hours to download a 200Mb file). A few things I've checked:

1. The speed issues affect all devices (laptop, ipad, phone) I connect the unit to, so I don't believe the issue is with the device

2. Regardless, I've tried using different browsers, reduce the number of add-ins, run a malware / virus clean up of my system etc... and have had no change in performance

3. It doesn't matter where in the house I place the unit, I also have the same problem

4. I've reset the unit to default settings and switched to 5Ghz with my devices close by (<1m), with no change in performance

5. I've checked the Optus network status site and my location is highlighted as having very good coverage

I don't know what else I can do to try and fix the situation. I'll be working from home the next couple of days so need to get my internet speed back to where it was. Does anyone have suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks

Troy 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wireless home broadband all of a sudden now very slow

Home Wireless Broadband 50/200Gb (released end of 2015)

Or

Wireless Broadband 200Gb (released December 2018)

Big differences between them,e.g. One is artifically limited in speed the the other is not

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor troyf
New Contributor

Hi Paddylee

I've had the unit for almost 2 years, so tt must be Home Wireless Broadband 50/200Gb.

The problem is, the speed has always been good on this until three weeks ago, so not sure why all of a sudden it has reduced so drastically.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I do know that on that plan if you went over by 50gb on tge 200Gb one you get slowed to 256k (vs 5000k/12000k) for that plan.

The new 200/500gb Wireless Broadband plan has no artificial speed limiting so its normally very fast.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobilebroadband

Now you wont have to buy another router as you already have the e5186 (what i use too)  

You will have to go into an optus store or use online chat or phone sales and ask for the month to month byo version and that ypu already have the e5186 from Optus.

Depending on if your still in contract on your existing servoce, may be a cancellation fee on that (e.g paying off the e5186 etc) 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor troyf
New Contributor

Thanks Paddylee, I didn't know about the speed caps on the plan. 

I'll have to go in to Optus and upgrade to the newer one.

However, I've never gone over 50Gb above the 200Gb at any time on the existing plan (and barely reach 50Gb of use in any month),  so don't believe this is the source of my problem....

0 Kudos
New Contributor Sue12345
New Contributor

I have a AC800s Modem and on the $50 for 25gb plan and since the start of ths year my Internet speed has been absolutely dismal to say the least!!

Was fine for the first 12 months of the plan and connected straight away but now I am waiting (waiting and waiting) just to get Google let alone any actual sites.  I am surprised I have even been abe to get onto this site to post this.

I have been to my local Optus shop and the under enthusiasum from the bloke who served me was disgusting.  He couldn't care less and he did replace the SIM Card but it has made absolutely no difference.

I live in Northern Victoria and apparently there are 5 Towers in our City and I live right in town.  How pitiful is this?  I dont know how I am going to put up with this until the end of March 2020!!!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.
Let us know how you go. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors