cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

WiFi extender advice/recommendations....

Firstly, I know Optus or any Mods can not recommend a WiFi extender over another - no problem, so no need to reply.

But I'm asking everyone else if they have any good experiences with an extender.

I've done a bit of a Google search and getting a little confused with all the reviews - some say this brand, some say another brand and some others say other altogether.

Basically, I after an extender that does not use the house wiring (mainly because I'm not sure if wiring would be on the same circuit).

So one that just plugs into a power outlet to extender the WiFi range and has Dual Band.  I don't want to spend more than $120 but also not buy an elcheapo either.

My Optus modem is a F@st3864AC, but not sure what the mbps is (presuming I need to make sure my speeds are compatible as well. If my above router/modem is rated for 1200 Mbps and the extender is only good for 750 Mbps, then I'm not going to get the full range of the extender. The reverse is therefore buying an AC750 extender with a 300 Mbps router is pointless also).

The furthest distance from my router/modem to the other end of the house is approx. 20 metres with a few gyprocks walls in-between.   At the furthest end is a cinema room with a WiFi BluRay player, but it cuts out/slows due to the distance.

If anyone has some good recommendations it would be greatly appreciated - thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: WiFi extender advice/recommendations....

Wifi isn't magical, nor terribly good. If your house is 20m long, you really have to pay for something.

Look at some pretty black pages.

https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply.

Yes they are nice but far too expensive for my requirements.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You probably need 3 wifi points to cover the house reasonably well. If you are OK with low speeds, then 6m and through walls is OK

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Be friend with a cabler and get a CAT6 cable to your home cinema. I've tried all wifi extender and mesh system, getting great signal by not able to smoothly to stream contents even at 2K. So if your intention is for the home cinema for high res contents then wifi (at least for now) wont be good enough. I paid a cabler about $150 got my room cabled, the stability is day and night, eventhing is smooth. 

A good wifi system will set up back a similar amout. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors