Searching...

Mobile

WiFi Issues

D3k

Anyone have issues with the wifi on the standard Sagemcom router that comes when you sign up to Optus?  We've had more-or-less constant issues with it since we signed up to the point where we've given up trying to connect on our Mobiles at home because staying on the 4G is both quicker and more reliable.  

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the internet, as we've had no issue connected via cable - only the WiFi.

Any ideas on how to address this? 

Re: WiFi Issues

Mkrtich

Hi D3k - Not sure if you have already done this and hope it helps. If you have a recent Sagemcom Model such as the F@ST 3864 V3 AC, it will support both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands at the same time. If both Wi-Fi Name SSID's are set for broadcast in the modem, you may see both bands in 'Available Networks' on your devices (if they support the 5.0Ghz) - Example: OPTUS_BBAAXX and OPTUS_BBAAXX_5.0GHZ. Try connecting to the higher speed 5Ghz. Apple devices generally do this automatcially if they sense it is both fast and reliable, but it is possible to prefer set the device to higher speed band and lock it in to use that band. This may have some inconvenience for users who move their device to a room where the 5Ghz can not reach and they would then have to manually switch to the 2.4Ghz. 

Modern smart phones will operate faster on the 5.0Ghz frequency if you have good coverage withing your home. Unfortunately it is a weaker signal than the 2.4 Ghz which penetrates walls better than the 5.0Ghz, so the modem may hand you over to the 2.4Ghz if it struggles with a solid connection on the 5Ghz, but the benefit is it much faster than the 2.4Ghz. These signals are broadcast in a spherical pattern but the Modem may come with 'Band Steering' turned on in Default. This feature beams the signal into narrow patterns focusing on where the Wi-Fi Modem locates a device but for the facility to work effectively, the device ideally also needs to support the function. Not all devices do this or remain within the same loation in homes, so sometimes the Modem struggles to get a good narrow channel and will always look for a stronger slow signal in preference to speed. 

Suggest you log into the Modem's System Pages and Try Disabling Band Steering in the Systems Wi-Fi - make sure you SAVE Setting and see if your speed throughput improves. If you have issues seeing both frequencies on your devices, it is possible to set the two SSIDs to broadcast having the same password.  In case you strike similar issues to the situation in this post below, I have also included my response to that -  https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/WiFi/Faulty-Modem/m-p/558304#M3510 . I think the Sagemcom is a reasonably decent Wi-Fi/Modem/Router and should perfrom well when set to your particular needs. Cheers

Mkrtich

Another factor that may influence the overall Modem health and possible Wi-Fi performance is the Firmware Version of the Optus Modem. My F@ST 3864 V3 AC test unit is at V 10.33. I have read an internet posting that indicated some inprovements to Wi-Fi were introduced in later versions but don't know the details. Later versions include 10.52.1 and 10.55; there may even be a later one after that as well. Updates to these versions are generally done sequentailly, so in the above example two updates from the first one to the last one would be required. These are controlled and downloaded automatically by Optus provided the Modem remains connected to the Internet; on my unit the Manually Download Updates Folio is Not Operational. Installation of the upgrade completes when the unit is powered down and up again, so it is worthwhile occasionaly to do this and check to see the System Settings for any change in Firmware versions. Be patient on power-up as it could take some time and ensure no power interruptions or disconnections occur during that phase.  Cheers

D3k

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I should have specified it isn't just the phone I'm having trouble with, I've just given up using the WiFi with it as 4G is a more reliable alternative.  I also often have problems on the laptop.  

I had a look into the band steering but can't seem to locate where I turn this off.  Could you advise?  I've looked under "wireless", "advanced" but can't seem to find it.  

D3k

Thanks for the response - have checked the software settings and it's running 10.54 so don't think that's the issue. 

Highlighted

Mkrtich

D3K- Yes it not clear or intuitive in the Sagemcom Menus. In Advanced Settings, first select Wireless from the left hand margin. There you will see the two networks wl0 and wl1. On my test unit , wl0 is defaulted to the 5.0Ghz Radio and wl1 is defaulted to the 2.4 Ghz Radio. Some Modems may be vice versa. If yours is the same, select wl0 and then choose Advanced again under the wlo section for details and enablement features of the wl0 radio - first confirm you are on the correct page, make sure it shows the 5 Ghz as enabled in 'Band - 5.0 Ghz' - the first box. On this 5 GHz page, the  'Beamforming Transmission (BFR) is Enabled by Default in the last two tick boxes at the end of this same very long page - scroll down to the bottom of the page as you won't see it on opening wl0 screen. Disable Beam Forming by arrow selection of both boxes and Save Settings. You should now be able to view and select either the 2.4 Ghz e.g. OPTUS_BBXXXX and the 5.0 Ghz e.g. OPTUS_BBXXXX_5Ghz SSIDs depending on your requirements when scanning for available networks from your PC or phone and connect to the 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz as required, hopefully with more stability. 

PS: If you do the same exercise with the 2.4Ghz radio, wl1, Beamforming is set for OFF in Default (Greyed Out Font unchangeable) as it is not a feature of 2.4Ghz. The Master Control for turning Beamforming ON or OFF resides in the 5Ghz Page settings.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
8 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos