cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
IamVun
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why am I not allowed to use home 4G Internet in my area?

I have wanted to maybe switch from NBN to 4G Home Internet as from what I have read the NBN is crap, but it says i'm not allowed to. Why is this? There's 4G infrastructure in my area (metropolitan melbourne.)  Just wondering why I cannot switch over to 4G.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: Why am I not allowed to use home 4G Internet in my area?

Hey @IamVun, thanks for getting in touch with us. 

The 4G home broadband service is only available in selected areas on the Optus 4G Network with the modem supplied by Optus. There may be technical or other reasons (local conditions or infrastructure etc) that affect your ability to access the service at your address. The service qualification check is an indication that you are within 4G coverage, it does not guarantee that your address is 4G serviceable.

You can check what's available at your address by checking out our Internet search up page. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@IamVunThere are two real reasons:

1) From Optus's maps and data the 4G coverage is not very good or not available at your address. There are a bunch of reasons why this can occur and it gets worse for 5G......

2) Optus has sold the allocated number of customers home 4G internet in the area that the tower that covers your address. This is so that Optus do not get stung with fines from the TIO about overselling a product that causes issues with the mobile tower.

As for other reasons I would love to get the real reason for them if they are not the two above.

You can try one of the Optus VMNO as people in the past have been able to get one from them when Optus does not allow it last year:

https://www.tangerinetelecom.com.au/mobile/wireless-broadband

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"as from what I have read the NBN is crap"

Facebook? Or some other similarly highly respected source of information? 🐵

Suggest you get NBN connected and see for yourself. Most of us are getting great 50/20 or 100/40 plans almost half have access to 250 or even 1000Mbps. The NBN technology you have is a factor (FTTN is at the bottom of the heap) but even FTTN gives most customers between 50-100Mbps.

Select a NBN provider with no startup fees, expensive modems and obviously month to month plan (so not Optus). ABB, FBB or Superloop are all well regarded. See for yourself rather than just reading about it in the papers.

As for the 4G well unlike the NBN mobile computing has definite bandwidth limits. Optus has already oversold all the data possible on your tower and adding more customers would just bring the speeds crashing down for everyone due to congestion. There's no getting around it, its physics.

0 Kudos
IamVun
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh alright, thanks. I do have NBN and my son's been complaining of high ping so I was looking for different options.
0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Hey @IamVun, we would also recommend having a chat to our Sales Team to explore the options available to you. Our teams are available over the phone at 133 937, online via the Optus App as well as in store for mobile enquiries.

Just in case as well, we would also recommend looking at our Current Offers and Deals, there may be something that might work in your favour currently apart of our promotions. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I do get protective of the NBN sometimes (I think it got a bad (but possibly deserved) rap in the early years.

You won't solve high ping by going to wireless. In general high ping is RSP related and some do a better job than others. Of course if your son is gaming with overseas servers this is always a challenge. Optus have a "gaming ping" service they charge for. You could try it for a month and see if it has any effect (depends where the servers are)?

Alternatively Telstra has the best international links (as you'd imagine) but that's a bunch of potential cost (they do month to month but you do have to buy their $250 modem - free if you stay for 24 months).

0 Kudos
Top Contributors