Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Which wi fi device is best

NBN at home HFC. Sagemcom3864ac modem/ router downstairs... 2 story house ... I want to improve wifi signal upstairs and network wirelessly  the 3 computers and printer upstairs  ( in different rooms) ..Presently there is a  CAT cable from the modem downstairs to a hub/switch in one of the rooms upstairs.

Should I replace the hub / switch with a wireless router ? ( However I only want one wifi network for the whole house and would this give me two.? )

Alternatively would putting in a mesh be better (connecting the principal unit in tandem to the sagemcom then turning off the wifi on the sagemcom ).. With this is could you use the cat cable that goes upstairs in any way?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Which wi fi device is best

Your situation is ideal for a mesh router. These normally l link to reach other over a dedicated wifi channel but if you can connect them by a cat cable then they work brilliantly it's called back haul..

Perhaps 2 Google nests or Google wifi ? Great control via the app with a bonus of great built in family controls.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, Mesh it is...I wasn’t aware of back haul..Should I still use the sagemcom as the modem or is it better to use the mesh alone?

Regards Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Do you need the sagecom for the phone? If not then you can go direct into the mesh system. Do a little looking into it. The Google system does like being the main router with its satelites. But there's a few very good systems out there (start with 2 and add another if you really want to later):

1) Google Nest
2) AmpliFi HD
3) Orbi
4) Luma

All good and powerful and easy to setup. Ask about backhaul capability (talk over wired and wifi connections). The Nest does backhaul but has to be set to use it after an initial wifi setup.
0 Kudos