Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Volte signing up but I didn't request?

Cc86

I received an SMS from 9999 saying my request from volte was received and would be active within 4 hours.. I've never heard of volte before, nor do I want it to work on my phone after reading what it was.

how do I stop this from happening? Rather annoyed Optus has just done this on my behalf without asking! 

I woke up to find this message on my phone.. 

OPTUSMSG: Thanks for switching on the VoLTE enhanced calling feature on your mobile. We're processing your request and should have it activated within the next 4 hours. Please be aware that this service has some limitations when making emergency calls to Triple Zero. Please visit optus.com.au/VoLTE-WiFiCalling for more info.

Re: Volte signing up but I didn't request?

[ Edited ]
tbz

What's your issue with VoLTE ?

It's additional connectivity for you phone and eventually everyone will use it, especially when 3G gets turned off in years to come. Every carrier is currently enabling VoLTE, if you don't want to use it don't select it on your phone and everyone is happy.

SamSam

Agreed Optus shouldn't have done it without asking, particularly given the message reads that you enabled it

That said, I'm with tbz. This will only enhance your phones capability when making a phone call and would have no detrimental affect to the service nor will it cost you anything extra so it's only a positive for you. Maybe you can explain what you read about it that you didn't like and we can help address that specifically.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Cc86

Ok smartass, my issue is that I have never heard of volte before I received the SMS saying it was being activated. I never activated it on my phone (I dont even know where to go on my phone to activate it) so I wanted to know why it did it and how I could switch it off.. call me all fashioned but I don't want to use it. 

Cc86

I haven't had a chance to properly look into it, I'm unsure if it will affect my internet data or not? I've been having trouble with my internet and wifi recently so I didn't want any of them connected in anyway Smiley Happy 

im more curious than anything why it was automatically activated without me having any knowledge about it

Solution

SamSam

tbz was only trying to help, wasn't being a smartass.

VoLTE won't impact your data negatively. Basically without VoLTE on, in order to make or receive a phone call your phone needs to switch back to 3G. So if you were on the phone to someone and while on the call you wanted to google something, the connection would be slower because it'd do so over 3G rather then 4G. With VoLTE on, you'd be on the call and browsing the web on 4G so it'd be faster.

VoLTE in no way uses your data so no need to worry about it eating into your monthly allowance.

WiFi also has nothing to do with this so don't worry to much about that.

If you REALLY want to switch it off (which I would recommend you reconsider) you can through the settings of your phone. Have a look here to see how - https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/tp2/VoLTE-support

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

SamSam

Plus Optus and everyone else are investing a lot of money into growing hteir 4G network so it'll improve coverage, give better sound quality, connection times etc. It's all really good Smiley Happy

Cc86

Thank you very much for the useful information. 

I was just annoyed Optus had activated it and I literally had never even heard about it before. A bit of information about it prior to them activating it would have been nice.

I only get 100gb on my internet plan so I was worried it would use that. 

Ive had home VoIP in the past at my parents - that's the closest thing I can compare it to (although mobile and landline are two different things).

thanks once again Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

strangewhine

*necro*

yeah it would have been better if the original text from optus explained what it was, rather than just saying it was activated (kind of implying it was a feature you could be charged for) 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
14 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos