Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
wwbede
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ultra Wifi Booster - won't connect / WPS pairing issue

We have just connected to NBN via Optus, have the Optus Wifi Modem (white model) which is doing great on its own, got both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz working with all of our devices.

We received the Optus Ultra Wifi booster as part of the package, and issue is, cannot get the Booster to connect to the main modem.  We have followed the steps in the quick start guide:

1. powered on the Ultra Wifi booster within 2 metres distance of the Wifi Modem,

2. then pressed and held the Wifi & WPS buttons simultaneously on the modem, until the top row of modem's LED lights started blinking, then released and waited for them to stop blinking

3. then pressed the WPS button on the modem, and the pairing button on the Booster, for approximately 3 seconds.

We then wait for the middle LED light on the Booster to go from flashing red to solid red/orange/green, however this never happens, seems to continue to get either the white right-hand led or the middle red led keep flashing.

Welcome any tips or advice on this.  Or feel welcome to share if you successfully followed the above steps.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kartika

Re: Ultra Wifi Booster - won't connect / WPS pairing issue

Hi @wwbede, please refer to our Ultra Wi-Fi booster → troubleshooting page to assist you further. 

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the → messaging service for further help. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Did the modem do an auto firmware when you first turned it on and connected it to the NBN to version SG4Y 1T0002023 before you starting the pairing process? If it is on an earlier version, can you turn off the modem, wait 60 seconds and then turn it back on to see if it updates to current version.

If it is on current version, the only thing that comes to mind is to factory reset the Booster and try again.

wwbede
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, my modem seems to have an earlier firmware version (assuming "1L" is earlier than "1T"):

Hardware VersionSoftware Version

FAST5366LTE-A

SG4Y1L002039

Tried powering it off for 1-2 minutes, then back on, and unfortunately, firmware version stayed the same. 

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. I think you have the latest firmware for the Ultra F@ST 5366 LTE-A. I had assumed the firmware levels on both versions of the F@ST5366 modems would be the same but now it makes sense that are different - perhaps other readers will confirm.

The reason why I think there is a difference is that, in the F@ST5366 TN-A the USB connection 3G/LTE capability is Enabled but locked OFF for use and shown as a red 'Dormant' status.

So it looks like 

Ultra F@ST 5366 LTE-A is SG4Y1L002039 - the L signifying the Active LTE Back Up firmware version using the inbuilt SIM. The '2039' indicating it is latter firmware. 

F@ST5366 TN-A is SG41T0002023 - the T signifying the Dormant LTE Back Up firmware version for a USB connected 4G modem Dongle/Wingle. 

The only other suggestion I have would be to do a Factory Reset of the Booster and then try again to see if it connects. 

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Typo correction for F@ST5366 TN-A - the Black coloured version : Firmware is SGY41T0002023 - missing Y inserted and seems to have an extra leading 0 compared to your F@ST5366 LTE-A.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Breaking News - my F@ST 5366 TN-A updated this morning to SGY41T0003035.

0 Kudos
wwbede
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you @Mkrtich for your help and clarifying the modem firmware versions.

I tried the factory-reset on that Booster and that didn't help.

This got me thinking of what else could be different.  Well, I haven't been broadcasting our SSID here for the past 10 years and never had a problem.  That said have never WPS'ed a device before.  Hmm maybe WPS needs a SSID broadcast.  Quick search on "WPS - does it need SSID broadcast" seemed to show that need to broadcast SSID.  

Switched on SSID-broadcasting, hit apply.  Now when I hold in WPS button on the modem, finally something different, the wifi-symbol is now flashing, might be on to something.  Bingo - after holding in WPS button on the Booster, all working now!

Moral of the story:  Broadcast your SSID if you want to work with this Booster, as it requires WPS to connect.  Haven't tried unbroadcasting now that it has a connection, might try later.  

Happy mesh network pic:

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 8.50.02 pm.png

Cheers

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That's great news. Thanks for your feedback. 

0 Kudos