Searching...

Mobile

USB access on Sagemcom F@st 3864 router

dir41

Guys,

Maybe wifi is not the right board to post this but cannot find a board for the Sagemcom router.

I have installed a USB flash drive on my router and set up an account with user and password for access to usb1_1, as per instructions on the Yes Crowd forums, but cannot access the device when logging in to the router using Samba (smb).

Can someone please advise how to do this as I would like to make the USB device accessible from all the computers and tablets on my home network.

Re: USB access on Sagemcom F@st 3864 router

Jeneral__Pain

If it has the wrong formatting (NTFS) instead of FAT32 or otherwise then the drive won’t be accessible.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Mkrtich

dir41 - The Optus link here covers MAC or Windows by selecting the OS you need. I don't know about MAC OS, Apple products are usually is well behaved but not so lucky every time with Windows - it took me a while to get a grip on things. http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/sagemcom/gateway-f-st-3864-windows-10/. Select Settings/USB File Sharing on the web page.

I tested this on a Sagemcom 3864 V3 AC with my Win 10 Netbook - some conflicting posts on YesCrowd regarding the presence of USB File Sharing in previous versions. I understand that FAT32 Disk Volumes need to be under 2TB, so if you have a 3TB, partition is required and files need to be max 4GB in size whilst NTFS is more generous - don't know if any limits apply to NTFS.

Before you make a call on this , you should be aware of the Security Issues with SAMBA and Windows 10 - I don't know if they apply to Apple, but my Windows 10 machine which is up to date with Security Patches gave me a Security Warning Window saying that SMB1.0,which is required to communicate with SAMBA Server, is not allowed and that SMB2.0 is required. I assume the people who reverse engineered Microsoft's SMB 1.0 interface and called it SAMBA and then made it available to Router Manufacturers to use in their LinuxOS based equipment may not have got around to doing SMB2.0 as yet or it is not available by Microsoft in Windows 10 Home. I don't know if Sagemcom 3864 V3 AC SAMBA actaully supports SMB2.0, or is limited to using SMB1.0, but it works with SMB1.0. 

It is strange that Microsoft do not present a SMB 2.0 setting in my version of Windows 10 Home, I only see SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in  Start /Turn Windows Features On of Off - this has been deemed by Microsoft as vulnerable to security issues; I assume if your Router allows incoming connections to your network or other diabolical means. Activating SMB1.0 (requires PC Reboot 10-15 minutes on my Netbook ) and will allow the USB Drive Icon to be seen via the set up routines outlined in the Optus Guide. I wasn't comfortable with using SMB1.0 and Disabled it (Required PC Reboot another 10-15 mins).

It's going to be a personal decision for anyone wishing to use this form or home networking subject to their position on security and maybe if limited to Entertainment Files, it may be or maybe not, a calculated risk. I don't know enough that the dark science of hacking and security loopholes. Hope this assists you to make a choice.   

dir41

Thanks Mkrtich but the usb drive I have installed is only 16GB and is formatted FAT32. I am using Linux so some of the suggestions for Windows do not apply to my system, but I have accessed files on a usb drive using smb in a file manager before on a different modem when with a different ISP, so not sure why I can't do that here. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

dir41

Thanks Jeneral__Pain. My USB drive is formatted FAT32. I use Linux operating system (Mint 19.1) and usually format external drives as FAT32 so they can be read by other operating systems such as Windows, Mac, Android etc, but thanks anyway for your suggestion.

dir41

Highlighted

Mkrtich

Hi - I think the issue is that the model of the Sagemcom Modem/Router you may have is designed for Samba 1 /SMB1.0 only (mine appears to be) and unless Sagemcom through Optus update their firmware to support Samba2 /SMB2.0 or Samba 3/SMB3.0 you may be stuck with Samba 1 for Linux setup. Firmware updates can not be undertaken manually by users and are done automatically by Optus in background. It would assist users if Optus published firmware versions with notes advising users of changes so that owners could understand the status of the Modem. There may be some Linux workarounds on the Samba Web site for your Linux Version setup; hopefully with respective precautionary warnings regarding any known vulnerabilities.  

For any Windows 10 readers, I confirmed that my Netbook is SMB2.0 compliant which explains why the opional connection to SMB1.0 setting has been diabled by Microsoft in Default. This also confirms why an error is received on attempting to connect via the Sagemcom SAMBA Setup as the Modem is locked in to SAMBA1/SMB1.0 mode. I can only assume the Sagemcom Modem was designed prior to SMB1.0 vulnerabilities being exposed and a decision has not been made by Sagemcom to address that isuse in existing units in the field. Other modem manufacturers may have upgraded the SAMBA Server to later versions. The Telstra NBN modems are also currently stuck on Samba 1/SMB1.0. 

In case of interest - Start, PowerShell App, Run Adminstrator with following enquiry input resulted in a 'True' outcome meaning it is ready for use. It can also be 'Set' instead of 'Get' prefix with its associated command line entry by adding a space after Protocol and $true after the same input line.  

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

EnableSMB2Protocol
------------------
True

dir41

Mkrtich. Thanks again for your response. Re Samba my Mint 19.1 OS is running Samba 4.7.6 but so far I have not been able to confirm which version the Sagemcom modem/router (F@st 3864AC) is using. i would assume that later versions of Samba would be backwardly compatible, but maybe not.

I looked at the Samba website but although it lists versions back to 1.9.X, it is not possible to download them from there. Version 2.0 was released in 2009 so I would hope the router design would be a bit more recent than that, :-) but who knows.

Anyway, I'll keep looking for a solution. Thanks again.

dir41

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
8 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos