Searching...

Mobile

Regular NBN wifi dropouts

[ Edited ]
Pat72

Hi everyone

Having regular wifi dropouts ever since NBN went in. Somethings it comes back on after 10 minutes or so. 

Other times I need to restart the modem to fix. 

The problem is that it happens multiple times a day or sometimes multiple times an hour. 

Makes music streaming or anything that needs continuous wifi unpleasant / impossible.

The phone also drops out as well when disconnection happens. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Had Optus cable prior to this and never had any problems.

thanks

Pat

Re: Regular NBN wife dropouts

Jeneral__Pain

It sounds like the Sagem router you have is faulty, I would contact Optus with what you've got and ask them to replace the router/modem.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Pat72

I do have another modem as for some reason Optus sent me 2 when I changed to nbn. 

Should I just connect the other one or do you think that will cause an issue with Optus if I change it without advising them?

Jeneral__Pain

If you don't use the built in phone port, you'll be fine.

If you do use the VoIP phone inside the modem/router, then you'll need to let Optus know so they can provision it on that device.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Pat72

Ok phone port is plugged in so will let them know. 

Is there a way for me to contact them on chat or do I have to ring and sit on hold 

Highlighted

Mkrtich

Hi Pat72 - I take it you are on NBN HFC which replaced your previous cable connection i.e. you have an NBN Arris Modem connected to your Optus Modem which functions as a Router/ Switch only. Fortunate you have two Optus Routers - if they are the same model number, you should be OK to exchange the suspected faulty unit with your spare one and see if reliability improves. Given that you appear to have had instability issues that may go beyond the Optus Router, when connections were lost, did the NBN Arris Unit have all green LEDs on indicating no network problems, or were some of them Off or Flashing (Firmware Upgrade or NBN SetUp in progress). If instability is evident with the NBN link, suggest you ask Optus to remotely diagnose the problem - NBN may have been doing upgrades in your area which could have caused temporay disconnections. If the NBN link remains stable but your substitute Router is losing Wi-Fi link, try logging into the Adminstration screen of the Optus Router and turn OFF Beamforming in the 5.0GHz Wi-Fi Radio Setting and make sure you SAVE Setting before exit.

I am not familiar with how Optus control their SIP phone service through NBN and happy to be corrected if applicable. I would be surprised to learn if any issues arise if you plugged your phone into the substitute Optus Router if it is identical to the suspected faulty unit; one would expect an automatic configuration of your personal pre-existing SIP data configuration to be re-downloaded by Optus on connection of the new Optus Router - similar to when a factory reset is performed on an Optus Router. Recommend you get Optus to confirm this matter for any future troubleshooting. Hope this helps.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos