cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Port Forwarding

Hi i have the Sagemcom 5366TN Modem Set up with NBN. Recently I just wanted to set up a port forwarding for a Minecraft server with friends. When adding the port I have chosen:

Protocl: TCP-UDP

Internal Host: 192.168.0.24

Internal Port: 25565

External Port: 25565

The port was listed enabled and i have applied. However, when I use port checkers from the internet it says that the port is closed. Any ideas on how to solve this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Port Forwarding

Hey @YaTng have you had a look into our Modem Guides as of yet? These will provide you with some more information and guides on the devices setting to assist with any set up enquiries you were having.

Should you continue to have issues, I would recommend having a chat to our Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further. Our teams are available 24/7 via the Optus App 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@YaTng wrote:

The port was listed enabled and i have applied. However, when I use port checkers from the internet it says that the port is closed.

No, what happened was that the port scanner got no response to its port scan and assumed that the port was closed.

Port scanners are useful but not foolproof.  There has to be something ready, willing and able to respond to a ping in order for it to be reported as open.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well i have gotten others to try to connect to the server and it doesn't work, and i'm pretty sure the only problem is the fact that the port is closed for some reason.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes I have checked the Modemn Guides which tells me nothing about port forwarding and the Messenger team is not replying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Are you running the server on a computer or a console? With computers they also have their own firewalls you have to deal with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @YaTng, as Qaude mentioned previously, we recommend sending a message through to our technical teams directly via the My Optus App. You can also send a message through to our Twitter or Facebook pages and we can help out from there.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

On a computer, I have watched guides and have enabled for others to connect to the port on my firewall.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

For a computer (see here) you need to port forward:

TCP: 25565
UDP: 19132-19133,25565

If that does not work then you need to isolate the problem as much as possible.

To rule out the computer firewall you can temporarily disable it while you do your testing.

If your NBN is anything other than FTTN or FTTB then you can rule out the 5366 as the problem by bypassing it all together and temporarily connecting your computer to the NBN box directly.