Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

POOR QUALITY SUPPLIED SAGEMCOM NBN MODUM ROUTER - LOOKING FOR OPTIONS

aceref1

Since having my Cable internet transferred to NBN, I have had nothing but trouble and OPTUS appear incapable/unwilling or unable to resolve any of my issues.

All I want to do is to use my modem router but because OPTUS has constructively created a situation where my telephone lines have to use their modem I am unable to do this.

Can ANYONE suggest how I might use an ASUS or Netgear modem router and still connect my telephone lines so that they work?

OPTUS continue to refuse any assistance with this.

Re: POOR QUALITY SUPPLIED SAGEMCOM NBN MODUM ROUTER - LOOKING FOR OPTIONS

SamSam

The Optus modem must be used if you want to use the landline unfortunately. 

You can still use your own router for the WiFi though. Once the Optus modem is plugged in and working, plug an ethernet cable into Port 1 on the Optus modem and then into Port 1 on your Asus/Netgear. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Mkrtich

May I ask why the Sagemcom NBN Router is not meeting your expectations and causing you to look for an alternative configuration using a second router? What model Sagemcom do you have? If Wi-Fi is a problem, check that Beamforming is truned OFF in the two check boxes under the 5Ghz folio in Wi-Fi System Admin settings. This allows two SSIDs to be broadcast and you can connect to the 2.4 or 5 Ghz as required. Earlier model Sagemcom routers only supported 2.4Ghz. 

Maintaining the Optus Sagemcom as the primary router and connecting a secondary router is possible to function as an Access Point as depicted above, however the secondary router's DHCP Server function should be turned off by Enabling Bridge Mode in it and reserving an IP address for it within the Optus Router. The SSID can either be different to the Optus Router or you can make them the same for ease of connection.  

I have read on web postings that it is also possible to make the third party router the primary and the Carrier supplied Router the secondary with its voice services intact, but this is a more complicated setup with some aspects which may be viewed as disadvantages - I personally don't view this arrangement as advantageous - Gamers seem to favour it if their Router has better throughput than the Sagemcom or if they favour its Admin Screen functionality. Some people wish to do this anyway, but that is why I have asked what is the problem you are trying to address in case it can be overcome as is. 

aceref1
  1. I won't hold a wi fi connection more than 10m from the unit;
  2. It's poor quality;
  3. It's supplied by OPTUS and I don't trust them at all;
  4. It forces me to connect my telephone via their modem;
  5. I want to use a better, more powerful modem router (AUSUS DSL-AC88U) to give better coverage across my home;
  6. OPTUS will not help me connect a third party modem but they keep trying to force me to use their crap gear.

Mkrtich

Hoping some of my comments may assist you. Firstly, I must aplogise as I am incapable of saying anything in 250 words or less. 

I like your choice - 8 LAN ports is handy to have. ASUS make impressive Routers from a technical and system configuration point of view. I am familiar the Wi-Fi technology of the ASUS RT-AC88U which may be related to your DSL model.  The RT-AC88U uses a heavy duty Broadcom 47094 CPU Chipset and two Broadcom 4366 Radio chips to provide it enhanced Wi-Fi services.  A later version, the BCM4366E provides a RangeBoost function for the Wi-Fi which would explain an expected greater coverage area for ASUS Routers using that version. Recent advances in Router speed technologies have far surpassed those in the legacy devices that connect to them rendering some of the claimed features for users to be not applicable as their devices do not support the function without a new adapter being connected to the PC e.g. MU-MIMO. I have had a look inside the Sagemcom V3AC  and its 2.4 Ghz radio is driven from the core CPU Chipset accompanied by one 5Ghz radio chip. So the Routers are in a different class - the ASUS is in the $500 range and the Sagemcom in the $200 range.

1.   Wi-Fi coverage is highly determined by the home environment and building construction. One of my friends has an Optus F@ST OP NBN IMS V2 Modem which is limited to 2.4Ghz only and has Wi-Fi coverage to his Dell Laptop located in the study which is line of sight distance of 12 metres from the modem, penetrating two gyprock walls to get there. A 2.4 Ghz signal will travel further than the higher speed 5 Ghz network. My home is larger than his and our network operates on 2.4 Ghz. I have two routers joined together with a very long LAN cable I installed from ground floor to first floor to make the secondary router an access point to provide extened coverage upstairs - works well. 

2.   I am reasonably familiar with PCBs for Consumer and Enterprise quality communication products. I wouldn't say that the Sagemcom is poor quality at all. It is very well put together using current surface mount technology, small heat sink indiciating low heat generation from the CPU and smartly designed for the market it is pitched at - an affordable low entry, battleship quality, no fuss and serviceable construction. It is not a router for Gamers. 

3.   Optus and Telstra do not share their VoIP SIP information with users for security reasons and this is understandable given that they have the right to maintain system integrity of their whole network, not just the NBN business side of it. They both povide controlled auto monitoring and firmware update through implementing TR 069 protocol when the modem is directly connected to the NBN - an advanatge to both the network operator and the user. You may find alternative RSPs who allow users to access their network SIP credentials by looking for this information on their respective web sites. Generally using an NBN service carrier router for telephone calls is an advanatage - most calls are now free in Australia. 

4.   In regards to sourcing information regarding how to use the ASUS as a front end to the Sagemcom which then places the Sagecom into a limited VoIP Gateway and Wi-Fi Access Point, you will find a few posts on Telstra Crowd that cover this configuration for Telstra Modems. As indicated previously, you need to be aware of some of the pecularities involved in this configuration and some people are OK with them. 

5. It is possible to improve your current stuation by a few changes if practical for your home. 

[a] Install a longer LAN cable between the Sagemcom and the NBN Data Outlet/ NTD / Arris HFC Modem depending on your NBN service. This may allow you to reposition the Wi-Fi Base Station in the Sagemcom to a more central position in a home. 

[b] Use a Powerline Adapter Set (D-Link AV500 DHP-P309AV) to extend a LAN socket to your remote location instead of using Wi-Fi. This works well for TVs that have a LAN port. Sometimes an unused AV500 pair is on sale for $50 on Gumtree.

[c] Connect a secondary used Router to the Sagemcom with a LAN cable to extend your Wi-Fi Network.

[d] Buy a set Wi-Fi Boosters or Repeaters.

[e] Implement an affordable Wi-Fi extender such as a TP-Link AC750 Wi-Fi Travel Router - $50 new.

Trusting this information may provide you a few alternatives for consideration. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos