Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Georgia12345678
New Contributor
New Contributor

Outstanding bill

My cable internet was disconnected by Optus in favour of the NBN, I went with a different provider and not Optus. I then got a bill for a full month of internet even though I had only about two weeks outstanding, I rang and was told not to pay it and that my final bill hadn't been generated. I then got another bill a month or so later saying that my bill was overdue and now I was had to pay a cancellation fee, I rang and said I didn't cancel it was cancelled by Optus, they told me not to pay it and that this wasn't my final bill. It's been about 3 months of back and forth and being told not to pay it and that my final bill hadn't been generated and now I'm getting emails about it moving to debit collectors. What do I do? How do I get them to actually move the process on so I can finalize it without paying ridiculous amounts for fees I was never warned about and probably shouldn't be paying anyway?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Outstanding bill

You've given them plenty of time to fix the problem time to make a complaint to the TIO. https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint
Steven_YC

Hi @Georgia12345678 - Thank you for bringing this up. We can definitely take a look into this to see what has happened. Can you please send our Facebook or Twitter team a direct message to confirm account details? We'll take it from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That is unacceptably incompetent. I would suggest you get very proactive. Hop on the app or twitter or facebook (these are the better points of contact unfortunately) and raise the issue yet again. The agent should be able to mark your account as closed on the date you moved off the Optus Cable (they can also confirm you used zero data since then easily enough).

Unfortunately this triggering of the "final bill" is something Optus seems to need. Staff can't seem to do anything until that is issued. So its unclear if whoever you speak to today can move to the point of finishing the process.

As a suggestion it might just be worth paying the $240 or so anyway. Optus can and do sort refunds and credits without argument usually (they just need the final bill). That way you can give Optus time to get its house in order and the various seemingly disconnected departments like "debt collection" can be held at bay.

You can do that but I don't think it should be necessary. The other thing to perhaps do after your contact today (depending on how it goes) is make a complaint with the TIO. Its free and in matters like this generally Optus will actually organise someone to do the job and close the account properly.
Top Contributors