Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Netgear AC782S on Optus Mobile Broadband

I've got a long out of contract Netgear AC782S wireless hotspot. It was originally Bigpond, then I moved it onto my Telstra Mobile account.

Now I'm trying to put an Optus Data SIM in it. I've set the APN to yesinternet or LTEBROADBAND according to some details I've found. I've manually set the network to Optus. However I still get a message in alerts:

SIM Locked
If you have a SIM unlock code please click below to enter it in, otherwise contact your network provider for the SIM Unlock Code.

At first I thought it was Telstra network locked, but Telstra advise that is not the case. I called Optus and they suggested trying 0000 or 1234, neither of which worked. They also suggested using incorrect codes then using the PUK number they provided me. This hasn't seem to have worked via the web interface or the LCD touch screen.

Anyone know how I can get this to work?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Netgear AC782S on Optus Mobile Broadband

Hi

I think you may have the wrong APN settings. have a look at this link:

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/our-mobile-broadband-or-home-wireless-broadband-apns-te...

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I've changed it to connect, as that seems to be the most appropriate from that list for the plan I'm on. Still got the SIM lock. Just visited an Optus store and they had no clue, just advised it was activated and suggested because it's a Telstra device it's not supported. No help at all. It doesn't address the issue that SIM card seems to have a pin on it. 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Could be you have entered different pins so many times you've locked the Sim card now.

Optus always say the Sim comes with a lock code of 0000.

The store could be correct in saying the Netgear device will only work with Telstra. Not that it need unlocking from Telstra.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It should if I'm locked out offer me the ability to enter the PUK code which I've got. 

What I find truly absurd is that it seems you can't even buy an unbranded wifi hotspot in this courntry. Where's the ACCC? I think that's where I'm headed, that and TIO. The constraints are purely for anti-competitive reasons, in this case by Telstra, but all these branded devices are anti-competitive. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors