cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN router modem limitation to 16 devices

Hi All

With so many wifi devices at home - 4 wireless printers, foxtel, optus fetch, iptv, 5 laptops, 5 iphones .....

obviously 16 max limit is not enough.

Not that everyone use the internet at the same time. Speed wise is not an issue.

However I found that I can't connect to some of the printers sometimes or devices got disconnected when on standby for awhile - possibly due to the limitation.

My option is to purchase a new modem router with higher limit for number of wifi devices. What is the recommended brand and model?

Or can I just purchase a router to connect to the current NBN/router - meaning two system. Probably the new router connect directly to the ethernet port and use to connect all the 4 printers. Will that work? What is the recommended brand and model router.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN router modem limitation to 16 devices

Hi @azlizalinah,

Hopefully one of our contributors can help out with this one. I can't offer support for non-Optus supplied equipment however I do need to let you know that if you chose to purchase a third party modem then you'll be unable to use your landline service (due to how the service is configured on the Optus end). As far as I'm aware, there are work arounds but you'd need to do a bit of research.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I might have solved this. But it is sad that Optus could not help directly. Optus needs to get better at its customer support.

(I was with Telstra, and I can say for sure customer support is 3 to 4 times better. Optus PR might need to learn from this)

Optus seems to leave customers in the lurch, or make us painstakingly going through their caller automated selections - hoping us to give up?

I have some tech capability. I could not imagine the frustration if the request came from someone with no IT ability.

Similarly, my broadband was "out of service" for most Sunday. 

On and off the modem, and resetting help for awhile before disconnection again.

By Monday, I did the call to the technical help line...... went through to so many tiers of options.

I was not even sure if I selected the correct options. After 3 minute of option selections, I came to the part where I was asked if I am experiencing (lucky me) NBN problem. I was asked to wait (all through automated answering). 30 seconds later my modem Internet led light up like Christmas tree. I never figure out why it did cut off on the weekend in the first place.

So as far as my problem with my limited wifi device seems to be solved.

I utilised my old Teltra ADSL modem/router. Disabling modem functions, and connecting the router to router. Connect all the Entertainment devices (IPTV, FOXTEL, Optus etc) and all the iPhones to the Telstra router. The computers and printers to the Optus router. Seems to be more stable and so far, after 24 hours, no device get "kick off" the network. Will give feedback again after one week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

There seems to be no answer from optus on this other than not our problem, i have the same and simular situations to other over 16 devices connected at once, well max 16. Thats without tv's xbox etc not even on. Home automation will kill me, as each wifi unit requires a connection, eg 5 lamps equals 5 new wifi connection, lights switches x 10 and so on, how are we meant to advance when the isp will not move with us, i pay for a service from optus and they limited what i can use. This in my opinion is unacceptable, i am not paying for another router when we should have as many devices as we want connected to my service which I PAY FOR. All other isp seem not to restrict the routers. 

Keen to hear from optus on the policy for cancelling a service that they cannot provide... other isp woukd love my business. Look forward to a response from optus.... maybe lucky......

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi would be keen to know how you did this, this seems my last chance before i cancel my optus contract. I have a speare telstra gateway max cable version... look forward to a response....

0 Kudos
Top Contributors