cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ipad losing access to internet when laptop can connect

We use an Ipad Air2 and an entry level Lenovo laptop to connect to our optus WIFI (Sagemcom 3864AC).  The Ipad sometimes loses access to the internet or just goes very very slow.  At the same time, I can connect via the laptop and do whatever was being  searched on the Ipad.  An independent speed test to a local Optus site shows approx 30Mbps download  and 1 - 2Mbps upload.  Apple support have analysed the ipad via RTO and claim it has no issues...check the internet!!.  They have shown us that either resetting the router or the ipad can solve the problem.  Reading the forum, I have seen comments about the firmware version and it appears to be uptodate (8.358).

Can anybody provide any advice, tell me where to go next, etc?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Ipad losing access to internet when laptop can connect

Hey @Peterpossum - are both your laptop and iPad connecting to your modem over WiFi? Is the modem nearby or located somewhere else in the house? It may be the case that your iPad is picking up a weak WiFi signal. Do you experience this issue with any mobile phones in your home or is it isolated to the iPad only? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks.  We have WIFI connections for the laptop, Ipad, an Iphone, a Samsung mobile and 1 TV.  All connections are within 10m of the router which is in another room.  Signal strength is between good to maximum.  The ipad is generally OK but can change to no access without change in location.  At this very point in time both devices are working as expected. Next time the ipad is affected we will try it beside the router.

Another piece of info, we are still on Optus cable...NBN is not quite here yet.  Lastly, maybe totally irrelevant, in the last month or 2 we have noticed our TV displays 'internet reconnected' every now while we are watching the traditional channels.  This has made me think whether an ipad doesn't handle connection issues as well as a laptop.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for that additional info @Peterpossum 

If your other devices aren't experiencing the same issue, it may suggest that your iPad isn't able to pick up as strong of a signal as the others. That being said, if your TV is saying 'internet reconnected' occasionally, there could be something larger at play.

We can check out your modem stability to ensure there's not an issue with your line connection though. If you'd like us to do so, please send me a private message with the following info:

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N
Full name: 
Date of birth: 
Account number:

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors