cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FamilyMan
Contributor
Contributor

Huawei E5786 Pocket Wi-Fi - how to turn Wi-Fi off when cable-tethered?

I purchased a Huawei E5786 Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot from an Optus store. I mostly use it at home, tethered to a laptop using the cable.

* Does anyone know how to turn the Wi-Fi transmission off? *

Please tell me you can turn it off.  Because there are hacking tools specifically designed to hack and spoof MAC addresses, and obtain passwords.  Therefore I don't need or want the Wi-Fi transmitting continuously 24/7 when cable-tethered.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Pete
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Huawei E5786 Pocket Wi-Fi - how to turn Wi-Fi off when cable-tethered?

Hey FamilyMan - have you tried accessing your WiFi modem → http://192.168.1.1 to try disabling WiFi? If my memory serves me correct, I do think you can switch this OFF. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
FamilyMan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  Yep, I've entered the settings using the web browser several times. There's no visible setting to turn WiFi off.  Not in the unit's own menu either.  You can toggle "WiFi extender" on and off but that's obviously not the same thing.  You would think it common sense for the unit to disable WiFi when connected via a cable.  Seems common sense isn't very common. 😕

0 Kudos
Scott_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Can you confirm what menu item you have on your device. You should be able to disable SSID broadcast from the WLAN Basic Settings menu. 

0 Kudos
FamilyMan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  Yes, there is an option to turn the SSID off. But there is no option to turn off wifi.

Obviously it's a pocket wifi (so wifi is important). But you can also tether a laptop directly to it using a micro USB charging cable (for both charging, and internet).  So while the 4G/LTE transmission is always needed to access the internet using a 4G/LTE data SIM, you do not need wifi turned on when it is connected to a computer using a cable. Because data flows through the cable with the laptop wifi turned off.

The SSID is not visible.  But it is still possible to hack wifi (just takes more effort). And I also don't want it charging 24/7 at 100% charge, because that will reduce battery life expectancy.

Below are links to two screen shots of the two menus that should have wifi on/off. Neither has it.  😞

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ns5ezs.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/24x3m6a.jpg

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Apologies for the delayed response @FamilyMan - Upon the information that has been provided to us, it doesn't seem to be something that is supported. Very sorry about this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Jens188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The Huawei E5786 router is a pocket wi-Fi to broadcast Wi-Fi signal. There is no way to turn on the Wi-Fi right now. You could set the MAC filtering, then no one could access the internet via your E5786.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors