Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor GreenWiki
New Contributor

Huawei B525 fails with Ethernet plugged in

I have a Huawei B525 wireless broadband modem that is generally working fine. I get a 45Mbps connection, and it has worked OK for a month.

However, when we had a power cut a few weeks ago, the modem started, and then showed a red light that it could not connect to the Optus network. I rebooted the B525 repeatedly as it was not connecting, and eventually found that if I disconnected the Ethernet cable, the B525 would become stable and connect to Optus. After a few minutes, I plugged in my Ethernet cable and it stayed stable - until we had another storm last night and we lost power again.

Now the symptoms are this;

• If the Ethernet cable is plugged in to the B525 Wireless Broadband modem when it is powered on, the modem will not connect to Optus and display a red light.
  • If the modem stays stable, but I plug in the Ethernet cable, then devices that have connected to the modem through WiFi are able to continue to operate on the Internet, and I can get to the admin page of the modem and it shows no problems (I can navigate through the interface) - however other devices cannot connect over WiFi, reporting that the SSID password is invalid.
  • My desktop plugged in to the Ethernet cable is able to get a DHCP lease (it appears in the modem admin page), but Windows 10 reports it is unable to get to the default gateway (which is also the DHCP server) and so reports no Internet connectivity
  • Any other computer I have has the same symptoms - gets a DHCP lease from 192.168.8.1 but then complains it cannot connect to 192.168.8.1 as the default gateway. I have exactly the same symptoms from 6 different computers.

I have tried setting a manual IP, and I get the same results (cannot reach the Internet or default gateway). If I unplug the Ethernet connection from the modem, then wireless devices that were unable to connect to the modem due to incorrect password are now able to connect - with the cached password.

I really need to get the wired connection working because my work has provided me with a Thin Client that I am unable to use a wireless card with - so I must use Ethernet.

As I used to be in IT support many years ago, I have tried all the obvious things and the basic troubleshooting steps - but I assume that it may be a bug in the Huawei B525 device because I have seen another person complaining of the same symptoms at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2786808

Can anyone recommend a way for me to resolve this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Huawei B525 fails with Ethernet plugged in

Hi GreenWiki - your modem may have sustained some transient current which may have corrupted software or the modem has just developed a hardware fault. The Ethernet LAN ports are connected in pairs to their respective Audio and Signal Transformers on the circuit board and are controlled by a special chip; if these units have become corrupted or faulty, they may cause unexpected outcomes or simply not work. If you have already done a Factory Reset from within the Modem Settings screens and still have the same outcome and you haven't this to date, try connecting  one only wired PC to the other pair - Port 3. If modem is stable , connect a second PC to Port 4 to see if stability is maintained.

For the Port 1 and 2 pair - if condition arises when connected to Port 1, I would expect it to also happen on Port 2 (one never knows). If it also occurs on Port 3 and Port 4, then I would say that you have a case to claim a faulty unit replacement. My son had a similar situation with a Tesltra modem that froze when a PC was connected to any of the 4 LAN ports and it was deemed faulty then replaced. 

Also, for Wi-Fi, if not already programmed and the B525 supports Beam Forming or the other function called Band Steering, try disabling the function/s the Save - you should then see both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs and see if connection is prevented per your original conditions - it could be that some of your devices prefer 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz or a secondary problem has also cascaded into the Wi-Fi radio chip/s. Hope this helps. 

New Contributor GreenWiki
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply - yes, I already tried each of the 4 ports on the back of the B525 modem - they all appear to be on the same ASIC and show the same problems. I also tried plugging in just a small switch with nothing else connected to it - and the same problem happens; loss of connection and new devices cannot connect.

I tried chat with Optus support, they asked me to repeat all the tests that I had done, and even some basic stuff that I did not bother with (like replacing the Ethernet cable, reset the modem to factory defaults) - and they concluded the same as me that the modem was damaged by the power cut or another issue, and needed to be replaced.

However, Optus support told me to take it to a store where yet another person would test it and then provide me with a replacement. This was not how the store interpreted it. The store told me that the stock of devices was not available to provide as replacements, and that instead they would take the modem off me and send it away to a warehouse for them to test it, and if a fault was found, they would order a new modem for me - and that this would take 10-12 business days. Obviously this is not a desirable outcome for me - to be without Internet for over two weeks, with Optus not providing me with a replacement service or device until they had decided that the device was actually faulty.

I am very upset that Optus will not provide a loan device or proactive replacement for faulty equipment. The modem is probably only going to cost Optus $100 - but instead they want to incur the cost of shipping, and staff testing the device, and the wrath of a very upset customer. The cost to me of not being able to use the Internet (I need it for work, and get paid by the hour that I work - the thin client that I have MUST be connected to Ethernet) is considerably more than $100, and so I am going to have to cancel work and re-arrange my life so that I can return the faulty device and get a replacement.

Fortunately, I was able to obtain a DD-WRT firmware for an old Wi-Fi Access Point and I now have it operating as a wireless bridge, so I can get my Ethernet devices connected. However, I now have a faulty Optus B525 device that I need to return - but the cost to me is so high that I can't do that.

Anyone from Optus care to explain why proactive replacement or loan devices are not available for customers?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmmm that is definitely an interesting update. To be honest I wasn't aware there is that process (unless they went outside of it) in place, my understanding is only mobile phones have the option for a loan replacement

As the Optus Support person concluded the modem was damaged, a replacement should have been ordered at the time.

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum as we don't have visibility or access to customer accounts.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

Let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors