cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pbills
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How to use Optus F@st 5366 TN as wireless repeater - wireless connection to Optus F@st 5366 L

OK. Just had NBN installed (reluctantly) to our HFC connection. We have the NBN Modem, connected to a Sagemcom Gateway F@st 5366 LTE Router - All good, VOIP OK and that's that. Unfortunately, the wifi signal doesn't extend throughout the house, so I'm looking at options - I have wifi repeaters, which are sort of OK, but not ideal. I've considered getting an Optus wifi Booster ($216), but don't know how effective that would be - our house is cavity brick, and quite large. I've run a powerline connection from the router to one of the rooms, but of course the speed isn't amazing (41Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan), but our farthest room in the house doesn't run off the same set of electrical lines, so that's out. I want to connect the Sagemcom F@st 5366 TN WIRELESSLY to the new Sagemcom 5366 LTE, and have it operate, presumably in bridge mode, so I can then place it halfway between the modem/router combo and the farthest room in the house. All the opinions I've read so far indicate that you still need to connect the 'bridged' router to the main router by cable before proceeding, which means using a really long cable, which I don't want to do. In short, I just want to set the F@st 5366 TN up as a repeater, but need to connect it to the F@st 5366 LTE WIRELESSLY. Anyone know if its possible? My other alternative, I guess, is to buy a MESH system, like Netgear's Orbi, or similar, but that means forking out $500-$600 minimum.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How to use Optus F@st 5366 TN as wireless repeater - wireless connection to Optus F@st 5366 L

In the mesh wifi setting my 5366TN classifies itself as an extender. I have no idea if it can work as a wireless extender (i.e. repeater). Check to see what shows up in the mesh wifi settings for you when both the TN an LTE are active.
0 Kudos
pbills
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to use Optus F@st 5366 TN as wireless repeater - wireless connection to Optus F@st 5366 L

Uh, sorry, don't know about a mesh setup. I just want to know if I can use the TN as an extender or repeater - that is, to send the signal along a little farther, but have it connect wirelessly to the 5366 LTE router

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - I don't think the F@ST5366 TN has a Wireless Bridge function that effectively makes it a repeater for backhaul to a F@ST5366 LTE or another TN modem. Its integrated Mesh function sets the modem up as the Controller for a proprietary Mesh network which links to the Optus Sagemcom WiFi Booster Agent software.

In February 2021 when Optus launched the Family Internet Ultimate Plan, the WiFi Booster was free on a 36 month plan and for those that had existing F@ST5366 models, it is available for $216 purchase outright or pay out for $18/$9/$6 a month for 12/24/36 months per Booster. Every home is different, so you may need more than one. 

If you have an existing F@ST5366, the most effective high speed solution is an Ethernet cable connection between the two units and run the F@ST5366 TN with no DHCP as an Access Point  both under 192.168.0.1 ( LTE/LAN- TN/LAN) or a separate interconnected Network TN 192.168.1.1.(LTE/LAN-TN WAN; Double NAT). The cost of running the cable would probably be less than the outright purchase of a Booster, particularly if it a DIY install or even if you get a contractor install it.  

0 Kudos
Top Contributors