Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sporaxis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Home Server and 4G Broadband Huawei B818

Hi,

I have been attempting to make a server visible on the Internet behind the the 4G Broadband Huawei B818 modem. I have have set up my ubuntu server to run SSH and have confirmed that it works inside my network. In addition I have established a DuckDns address for the server, so that as the WAN Ip shifts, I have a static reference to log on to.

All scans and such of the DuckDNS and the IP address fail, no ports are visible. I read elsewhere on here that this is impossible with the 4G Broadband offering due to expense of public IPs.

Note I am 4 days into this service and I asked the support staff, all 9 of them, at various points if I could host a server, if ports were filtered and each one said no. If I can't open the ports then I will be seeking a cancellation without cost as the service does not match what was described to me.

Thoughts, help experiences?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Home Server and 4G Broadband Huawei B818

It's behind cgnat, so no opening ports at all.
Sporaxis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so from a technical point of view, CGNAT and how addresses are assigned is preventing my server being visble. WIll a Static IP resolve this and is this service offered? My current account is registered as a business with ABN.

Otherwise I am looking at cancellation of service and settlign for my joyous 11Mbs of NBN.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Static IP is not an option for this service.

Only applies to BUSINESS mobile broadband plans and only via a Optus Business Centre.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Sporaxis wrote:

Ok, so from a technical point of view, CGNAT and how addresses are assigned is preventing my server being visble.

Correct. 

@Sporaxis wrote:

WIll a Static IP resolve this

Yes, because CGNAT and static IP are mutually exclusive.

@Sporaxis wrote:

is this service offered? My current account is registered as a business with ABN.

Optus does over static IP with some business plans/conditions. See here for someones experience in getting static IP with Optus 4G business account.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors