Searching...

Mobile

Has anyone else had a terrible experience with Optus?

josephkhan

So I've recently moved into a new place and have gone with Optus NBN. It's been three weeks and they've delayed shipping our modem to us 5 times already. Every time I haven't heard a word from Optus. No emails, texts or calls and the Optus app still saying the modem would arrive. I've spoken to customer reps each time the modem has been delayed and every time the rep has assured me that the modem would arrive in another three days. Still nothing. I spoke to another rep today (this time a floor manager) and they told me that there is in fact a shortage of modems and there is no known date that the modem will arrive. They offered me a $39 internet dongle instead which would be taken off my next bill but I'm a broke uni student and with Christmas coming up I can't afford to spend more than I already am so I'm basically out of luck.

Anyone else had a tough time dealing with these guys? I almost wanna cancel my service just out of principle. Haven't even started using their internet and it's already been terrible.

Has anyone else had a terrible experience with Optus?

josephkhan

So I've recently moved into a new place and have gone with Optus NBN. It's been three weeks and they've delayed shipping our modem to us 5 times already. Every time I haven't heard a word from Optus. No emails, texts or calls and the Optus app still saying the modem would arrive. I've spoken to customer reps each time the modem has been delayed and every time the rep has assured me that the modem would arrive in another three days. Still nothing. I spoke to another rep today (this time a floor manager) and they told me that there is in fact a shortage of modems and there is no known date that the modem will arrive. They offered me a $39 internet dongle instead which would be taken off my next bill but I'm a broke uni student and with Christmas coming up I can't afford to spend more than I already am so I'm basically out of luck.

Anyone else had a tough time dealing with these guys? I almost wanna cancel my service just out of principle. Haven't even started using their internet and it's already been terrible.

Highlighted

Re: Has anyone else had a terrible experience with Optus?

petergdownload

That does sound very poor. Unforunately the lack of communication is not unusual at Optus (they often promise but never do call back - you need to contact them yourself every day to keep the process going). Its also not unusual to get told something that sounds reasonable but may or may not be the case - so there may be a majot Optus modem supply issue or there may not be. FWIW yours is the first post in months suggesting any issue with modem delivery.

What sort of NBN do you have (FTTN? HFC?). Do you have any other modem? Do you have a NBN modem already in place?

Peter Gillespie

Jeneral__Pain

Uh, Christmas isn't for another 5 months, unless I've stroked out and missed July, August, September, October and November?

Sadly, Optus has bad habits of not doing their job properly.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

all_star82

Optus is the worst! And any interaction with their ‘customer service team’ is not just a terrible experience it is an utterly horrendous experience.  They out right lie and if you call them out for it, you’ll come off second best. Super vindictive and absolutely shameful behaviour on their behalf.  

I would highly recommend you: Record every interaction, time, date, ask for the name/s of every customer service representative you speak to during that ‘call’, what their department is and for a reference number.  It won’t really help in the sense of sorting out your service issues but you’ll need thst kinda info if you take things further - Local Member or Ombudsman.

2. Get onto the Telecommunications Ombudsman’s website.and check what rights etc you have, application processes etc.

3. Get onto the Optus Facebook page. I think I did a search for FB posts about Optus NBN and found a thread which I commented on and low and behold, Optus contacts me via FB messenger.  The Optus social media crew/customer service reps are considerably more helpful than those over the phone or chat.  Make sure you screenshot any conversations with Optus on social media

4. I strongly recommend you cancel your contact and don’t get.locked into 12 or 24mths contract with Optus.  You nbn service will probably, more than likely be crap with whatever service provider you go with but their customer service couldn’t be anymore appalling and abhorrent than optus’s.  

I understand completely about being a uni student and funds being tight.  And $39 credited to your account is crap.  It took them over 2 and 1/2 weeks to get my nbn connection working after the install.  I got the run around - reasons for the connection issue, expected timeframe for fixing it changing & the whole ‘a supervisor will contact you within 24-48hrs’.   Eventually Optus ‘offered’ me a Internet Assistant kit (see below). It took 4 days to arrive not the 24hrs I was told but it was something at least. You should mention this Kit if you’re still without internet or if your internet is up and running you should mention it wasn’t offered and at least the $50 credit should be credited to you account for the  time spent chasing them about your service issues and the stress and financial stain caused by your experience, which was compounded by Optus not offering then internet assistance kit. 

But anyhoo, don’t expect Optus customer service to get better and trust me when I say it can get worse. Absolutely not right that they can do the things they do and not be penalised cause its a breach of consumer rights and their business practices certainty are not above board. Hopefully the ACC Australia will get them eventually. 

Good luck with it all. 

Why have I received the Optus Internet Assistance Kit?

You have mostly likely received this kit as you have a fault with your home internet that is affected by a delay. Alternatively, if you are affected by a Mass Service Disruption, you can get some more information on this here www.optus.com.au/msdhelp

compensation in the form of a 4G wifI.modem hotspot and $50 credit. 

aceref1

You better get used to it.  The ONLY experiences that you will have with OPTUS will be VERY POOR.

I'd suggest you save the link to the Telecommunications INdustry Ombudsman as you are going to need it from day 1.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
8 Kudos
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos