cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fluctuating RSRP since Wirless Home Firmware upgrade

@Mkrtich  As you mentioned of devices fighting for available bandwidth, which is why there should be a CAP or Maximum Speed limit. 

I contacted Optus and via Live Chat I wasted 1 hour of my time talking with Tech Support. Here is part of that chat  when I asked What the maxiumum speeds are?

What are the maximum speeds for Optus Wireless Broadband?
Agent (12:09:39 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Gladwyn (12:10:44 AEST) : Please give me 2 minutes.
Gladwyn (12:17:57 AEST) : May I know how much speed you are getting right now
Visitor (12:19:43 AEST) : I basically getting 12Mbps download and 1Mbps upload, which was the maximum speeds when I was at Vividwireless and the Maximum speeds at Optus when we migrated.
Visitor (12:21:09 AEST) : Vividwireless, Optus, Telstra and other ISP who had wireless broadband ALL had the maximum speed of 12/1Mbps.
Agent (12:21:45 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Gladwyn (12:23:31 AEST) : As per this modem you will get maximum speed above 2 mbps and as I checked your area the network is very good so the speed will increase eventually
Visitor (12:25:38 AEST) : You haven't answered the simple question - What is the maximum speed for Optus Wireless Broadband? If there is no maximum speed provided, how does anyone know if they are having slow speeds?
Agent (12:27:40 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Agent (12:29:39 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting this is taking longer than I thought, I'll be right back with you.
Gladwyn (12:29:44 AEST) : As I already informed you that you will get the speed above 2 mbps and the speed will increase.
Visitor (12:30:28 AEST) : You are unable to provide answers to my questions, so I will end the chat. Thanks for your time . Bye
Agent (12:32:29 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Gladwyn (12:33:44 AEST) : Sorry if felt that way.
Gladwyn (12:34:04 AEST) : I am trying my best to answer your question.
Gladwyn (12:34:50 AEST) : Any speed what you get more then 5 Mbps its consider as good speed.

As I did not get an answer, I did some Googling and came across this review article that explained the new Optus modem and 4G Plus network. You may have already read the review article.

https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Reviews/optus-home-wireless-broadband-review

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thank you for the feedback. Appreciated. Its an accurate article and I think people's experiences at the bottom may be incorrectly associated with the hardware itself - the symptoms described are more likely location, load capacity and network demand related. The Live Chat indicated a lack of knowledge by the agent who provided highly conservative and safe minimums. 

I think caps were originally put in place by carriers in early days when network capacities  were limited and those caps have slowly been removed after carriers invested more infrastructure to cope with exponential growth of mobile telephony and mobile data. We see significant increases in data download allowances as a means to keep customers on networks or to churn them over from others and heaps of marketing encouragement to use the mobile device for streaming music, video, on-line games, news, sports etc. You can't offer that without having heaps of bandwidth infrastructure in place. 

With the removal of caps, it's a free for all, first in best dressed but with no dedicated bandwidth guaranteed after you connect, it becomes dynamic. One of the main differentiators for speed is determined by the equipment used - the mobile device's CAT rating is the usual indicator used for this. These range from CAT 4, 6, 11, 16 and 20 with associated pricing and higher claimed operating speed technologies through combining channel bandwidth to a higher order as you go from 4 to 20, and once again subject to the realities of communications during the duration of the link.

Even the lower two categories are capable of delivering decent speeds at times - per the article. Carriers are also using the capability of the unit to attract customers to their networks. Who would have thought five years ago that people one day in the future would outlay $2,000+ for a mobile phone or have it on a plan? 

My very tired iPhone 5 is 2012 vintage - at home, I have LTE speed tests on it that range from 5.75/0.55, 14.3/3.01, 39.6/27.3 ,61.2/37.1, 86.7/37.5 and 92.0/41.3 - so it's all over the place subject to the usual conditions. 

I wasn't sure from your chat if you asked if your service had its cap removed or could be removed if not by getting a new Optus SIM. If it is near and convenient, that question may be better answered if you went into an Optus store.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

As Vividwireless had more different plans inlcuding Unlimited than what Optus offered, Optus had to setup these Vividwireless Plans on its system, and it was a condition for those who migrated across to Optus that we remain on the Vividwirless Plan (same cost and speeds 12/1) until we either cancel or change to a Optus Plan. Vividwirless Plans were then not available.

Again, thank you for the information and comments provided.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors