cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Rach007
New Contributor

Faulty Modem

I recieved a Sagemcom Gateway F@st 3864V3 AC Modem about 2 months ago with a new internet plan. It was worked well until 2 days ago. It has stopped broad casting on the 2.4g bandwith. I have a older laptop I use and it does not recongised the 5GHz bandwith. All other devices can connect to 5GHz but its become very intermittent, even when I connect my laptop directly to the modem. Rebooted modem/turned off etc, nothing worked.

I rang Tech support today and they checked the internet connection to my house. Its fine. The lady on the phone then told me I needed to buy a new laptop and the modem wasnt faulty as I could connect to the internet. Excuse me? I tried explaining that the modem supplied has worked on the 2.4g bandwith and states this on the modem itself that its both 2.4 and 5 GHz, and that was it! Not a Optus problem apparently, nothing she could do, I should just buy a new laptop!

How is it that a modem I have had for 2 months stops working as it states it should and I am the one who has to purchase a new laptop?? How about Optus supply me with a replacement modem, under warranty. That would be helpful.

Tomorrow I will be going into one of their stores to see if they will do anything. Iam not hopeful.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
New Contributor Rach007
New Contributor

Re: Faulty Modem

Visited a Optus store today, the staff there said they couldnt do anything for me. The only suggestion they had was to make a  complaint. So I have, and I will continue to do so until I receive a replacement modem. 

Optus when you send someone faulty equipement you apologise and replace it. You dont say oh well it works sometimes just live with it. No wonder you have a crap reputation.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there, disappointing to hear about your experience. This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process (which you may have already done).
Let us know how you go. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hello - sad to read the response you received so far. I had a similar experience and discovered the test unit I have, had the 2.4 Ghz Disabled. Have you checked the SagemCom3864V3AC Wi-Fi Settings. On some units, only the 5.00Ghz SSID is Broadcast even though the 2.4 Ghz is capable of working as well. Suggest you connect a LAN cable to a spare port on the Router and type 192.168.0.1 into the browser - this should present you with the Optus WIFI Modem Home Page. Select Setup and Configuration and you will be challenged for a User ID and Password which is on the label underneath the Router. Now you can access all Settings in the Router. There will be a Wi-Fi icon which may only show you the 5.0 Ghz SSID or both depending on your version of the 3864V3AC or the previous setup. This is the summary WIFI Management page - it may only show you the 5.0 Ghz view here even when the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz has been programmed correctly in the Advanced Settings. Now go to the Advanced Settings and select Wireless from the left hand margin. There you will see the two networks wl0 and wl1. On my test unit , wl0 is defaulted to the 5.0Ghz Radio and wl1 is defaulted to the 2.4 Ghz Radio. Some Modems may be vice versa. If yours is the same, select wl1and then choose Advanced for details and enablement of radio, make sure the page that shows the 2.4 Ghz - in my case , wl1, Wireless Basic - 2.4Ghz is Enabled - first tick box. On this page Beamforming is Disabled by Default - last two tick boxes - that is OK. Save any settings that require confirmation. If your modem is not faulty, you should be able to view the 2.4 Ghz and the 5.0 Ghz SSIDs when scanning for available networks from your PC and connect to the 2.4 Ghz from your laptop. If you can't see both networks, and your laptop picks up 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi from another Wi-Fi Router, I think you have a reasonable case for a warranty claim on your existing Optus Router. Hope this helps..
0 Kudos
Top Contributors