Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor revo
Occasional Contributor

Excessive data

I have just switched from Vodafone to Optus for mobile data, with Vodafone I never went over 60GB in a month even tho I had 90GB, Now with Optus according to them I have used 12GB in 3 days, I am not doing anything different than when I was with Vodafone....This is absoultely ridiculous....It feels like I have been scammed into joining Optus...Get your act togeter Optus, if I have to break my contract it will cot you more than it will me with the amount of people that I will talk out of joining your network and the complaints to TIO.

I am outraged at the sheer audacity of this company when it comes to comes to calculating data usage

13 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Excessive data

Perhaps wait a month and get a bill before getting too het up. I agree Optus should be doing much better in providing timely accurate data usage details (especially to new customers) but it seems that is a big ask in month one. You should find it settles down after the first bill.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Instead of skipping over the complaints process and going straight to the TIO (they'll reject your complaint and refer you back to Optus to actually discuss your concern first),

What device?

Do you tether?

Do you stream music/movies/tv? 

Optus automatically updates your usage generally within 1-4 hours of it being used, at worst 24 hours. If you've used 13GB in 3 days, I would be wondering if you tethered a device and it's updated itself or its apps.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply, I know how the complaints process works and am not tethering any other device, I even tested how much data is calculated, I watched a 5 min youtube video and it used 130mb...That is insane

New Contributor AndyG66
New Contributor

Same Here. 5gig this evening total 100gig in 7 days. swiched from a diferent provider based on past data usage. so far not real impressed.

Tags (1)
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

130mb for 5min is actually not unreasonable for YouTube.

remembering that you use about 1gb per 60min of HD video, sometimes higher depending on the resolution.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

130mb for a five min youtube video is outrageous, it wasn't even HD. There is something seriousy wrong how optus calculates data usage. 

Occasional Contributor

I hear you brother, how the hell does optus data equal 3 times more the same amount that Vodafone calculate?

New Contributor AndyG66
New Contributor

I switched from my old provider had 200 gig there never went over..... have had optus now for 7 days not doing anything different from before and we've used 110gig in in 7 days..  and you say this is normal,,?????? I really hope this settles soon or could someone please let me know if this is just a little glitch that will be sorted. Other wise it'll be cheaper for me to cancel and go back to my old provider. Even with there crapy 2mbps speed.

Tags (1)
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum. 

Please visit our Understanding & Managing Your Data Usage page for more information.
For further assistance with your service, please chat with us.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos