cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excessive data useage

Hi, I have recently switched to mobile broadband with Optus and we have 500gb per month. We ran out after 3 weeks last month (our first month with them) but i put this down to kids being on school holidays and restricted to home due to Covid 19 restrictions.

So this morning our data has been reset for the month. In 3 hours we have used 5gb. I am on a computer for work but only doing emails (text only) and have done some google browsing on my computer and phone. 2 kids on google classroom, 1 just emailing the other has watched 1 class movie along with emails etc and some google browsing, social media. The breakdown is this:

Google generic 34.7%, Browsing 12.2%, Youtube 11.4%, Insta 9%, Snapchat 4.5%, Other 28.2%

I cannot contact Optus as this is not a critical enquiry but we are going to chew through 500mb in no time. Does this seem right?

Thanks for your help. Stay safe.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Excessive data useage

Any video related stuff can easily chew through data.

It's a good idea to check the data usage on each of the individual devices (don't just rely on Optus' report) and that will give you a much better understanding on where all the data is going.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That does seem excessive. I agree with Yetanother, set each device to monitor its own use (metered network, right click on the internet status bars, lower right corner).

But, it can also be a dodgy router constantly connecting and reconnecting. This constant handshake can easily eat up 2-3 gigs in an hour with no other net activity. To test; connect one device and see what it has used over an hour without activity.

And don't rule out someone has found your password. Change it.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you need to you can buy a second 500Gb SIM (just swap it over when you get close to 450Gb.) Its a month to month plan so you can exit anytime and you don't need a second modem. Cost is $65 a month.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors