Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bordersquirrel
New Contributor
New Contributor

Devices on 5GHz wifi can’t connect to devices on the 2.4GHz network

I’m using Optus FTTB with the provided Sagecom router. I’ve set it up with a single
SSID for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks. It works fine; all my devices have internet access and I can see them all on the https://mygateway portal.

However I regularly lose connectivity between devices across the networks, so I can’t connect to my Raspberry Pi or my printer (2.4Ghz) from my laptop or iPad (5GHz). This is very frustrating!! I’m on the verge of purchasing a new modem/router but wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas first?

I’d like to avoid splitting the networks and re-connecting all my devices, but I will if I have to!

Dave
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Devices on 5GHz wifi can’t connect to devices on the 2.4GHz network

Hey @Bordersquirrel that's not good to hear. You do have a fair amount of devices connected which can sometimes congest the network within your home. However some essential maintenance can help improve things.

I would suggest clearing the line that your modem is currently connected too, just to reduce any interruptions caused internally by other devices. Once the other devices have been disconnected, please connect the modem directly to the designated socket and perform a power cycle

Simply unplug the power cord from behind the modem, doing this should turn all lights off. From there, just allow at least fifteen minutes to pass before re-plugging everything back in the correct ports.

Once the services have returned, simply connect your devices and see how you go.

Should you continue to have issues, I would also recommend having a chat to our Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further. Our teams are available 24/7 via the Optus App

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Bordersquirrel  Quick one is to search previous yescrowd posts as I think this may have come up before w.r.t. 2.4 & 5 connectivity, assuming you do NOT have like 10+ devices as this is a different issue (not designed for allot of devices btw).

First it sounds like you have two issues:

1) Network dropping a few times a day or more. This has come up a few times and in most cases the h/w is faulty.

2) Connectivity between 2.4 and 5 Ghz devices. (seen once before from memory, but I could be wrong)

If this is the case then search for two different issues.

Good like.

PS. If you have a RP4 have a look at https://www.arcadepunks.com/download-raspberry-pi-4-images for nostalgia...

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Bordersquirrel wrote:
I’ve set it up with a single SSID for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks.
However I regularly lose connectivity between devices across the networks, so I can’t connect to my Raspberry Pi or my printer (2.4Ghz) from my laptop or iPad (5GHz).

Your use of the a single SSID is almost certainly the cause. Its not uncommon for 2.4Ghz only devices to have problems connecting to a single SSID router.

I don't recommend using single SSID in tour setup.

Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

My Optus supplied Huawei Modem- Router will not let you set up a single SSID for both bands
I am an Optus user.
Bordersquirrel
New Contributor
New Contributor

So turn off band steering and going back to separate networks fixed my issues. This isn’t ideal but definitely seems to have stabilised the network. Thanks for the tips folks!