Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
holly
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data use

I have a 500gb wireless plan, and on the data breakdown “Google services” is completely smashing our usage. I’m unsure why as other apps such as Netflix, Disney+, Zoom etc all show their own breakdown and are no where near as high. The “Google services” category has used almost 60gb in four days. We’re working from home but surely our internet use for email and browsing isn’t consuming that much. Can anyone help explain, please?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ness_YC

Re: Data use

Hey @holly, thank you for reaching out. We appreciate you checking your data breakdown. It may be possible that your device is automatically updating apps in the background which is chewing up your data. If you have an Android, you should be able to restrict this via SettingsData Usage → scroll down and select the app to restrict. You will find restrict background data option there. Select Google Play Services from there then restrict data.

If you have any further questions on this, we welcome you to engage with our Messaging Team via the My Optus App.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
holly
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. My partner and I both have iPhones though so that option isn’t there.
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

In this case, we'd recommend engaging with our Messaging Team via the My Optus App as they will be able to review your data usage once they verify a few details. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors