cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data overcharging

In the last two months my data usage with Optus has spiraled from around 20gb per month to over 85! I’ve gone backwards and forwards on the phone with them till I’m bleeding from the eyeballs. I’m convinced there Has been a change with their data Collection numbers and will have to change companies at the end of the month. Staff have been hopeless. No one listens. Something is broken here or they are scamming. Many many other users on this forum having the same problem so it’s an ongoing issue. I see all the responses from Optus moderators are impotent light weight answers designed to show that a response has been logged but nothing is addressed.
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Data overcharging

Unfortunately the forum is now largely a referral tool to other Optus contact points.

You should be using the settings on your phone to track usage locally. If its Android you can set usage warnings and cutoffs and set the data to reset each month. If its iPhone unfortunately Apple don't encourage tracking data but you can at least reset the data usage counter at the start of each month and manually check it as required.

What does your phone show now?

Hopefully Optus can get the issue sorted but if you do decide to head elsewhere I can recommend Boost Mobile. The 12 month plan for $300 gives you 240Gb. That's effectively 20Gb a month for $25 (use more some months and less others) which is probably less that you are currently paying.

Optus has a similarly good plan prepaid but its for new services only. So you either get a new number or will need to port out to a cheap $5 SIM with another provider (Amaysim?) and then port back in if you want to keep your number (no idea why Optus make their own customers jump through all those hoops)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

To Matt1968,

I have also noticed a significant increase in my reported usage.
Increased my plan cap. and agreed to unlimited data days. Even so they have charged me $120 over twelve hours.

Either their systems are bugged or they're trying to overcharge us. Will probably change carriers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Either their systems are bugged or they're trying to overcharge us."

Its probably a bit of both. Optus data reporting systems are not great. That might just be unavoidable but the cynic would note that its never Optus that loses out because of the 'bugs' only the customer. Optus also deliberately designs its plans and fees so that every month a random percentage will find they've been stung for $10-$$$.

In many cases customers either don't notice or find the hoops & time required to get the charges refunded not worth the effort. That said Optus will refund mistakes (and even sometimes customer mistakes if its a one off). Its just a pity that they design their system to their benefit and not their customer's - providing a simple option to opt out of automatic data top ups would be completely fair and effective.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors