Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor WDZOZ
New Contributor

Constant Internet Drop out

Hi all,

Hoping someone here has the answer to my question.

I've been a happy little camper with broadband for years, no issues until I was forced over to the NBN.

It now seems that whenever I open my MacBook Pro and login, the internet drops out...I'm assuming there is some sort of conflict. 

I know it drops out because my TV is connected and it notifies me that there is no connection, I have to then reboot the modem (supplied by Optus).

The Optus support team have requested I buy an wifi extender, which has not helped at all...I've had no luck with the support team and this issue has become a real problem for me...hoping someone can help...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Constant Internet Drop out

What kind of NBN are you on?

When the 'drop out' occurs, can you access your modem or not?

What modem are you using?

Have you reported this to Optus faults either by chat or phone on 131344?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor WDZOZ
New Contributor

Yes, so the modem is still active (ie I'm still connected) however I'm not able to access the internet. 

I'm using the Sagemcom 3864V3 AC WiFi modem (supplied by Optus, the 2nd one sent in an attempt to troubleshoot)

I have reported this to Optus faults, it has been a long ongoing process. They couldn't see any dropouts from their end...Their solution was for me to purchase a wifi extender

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Please understand for us to help/provide suggestions/resolutions etc, we really need you to cooperate with the process and answer some questions so we can help.

What NBN technology are you connected to?

FTTP, FTTN, FTTC, HFC, FW ? 

When you say "drop out", I'm assuming you are on wireless and you're quite a distance away from the Sagemcom router?

When these "Drop outs" occur, do you mean that you lose wireless signal?

What have you been doing to attempt to resolve them (besides calling support)

Examples: I've rebooted the router, I've danced in a circle whilst asking the Internet gods for WiFi?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi - I take it a LAN cable from the Mac to the modem works OK and your issue is with Wi-Fi connectivity. If you can't connect to the internet with a LAN cable connection , what information is showing when you enter ipconfig into a Command Line entry in the Mac when it is connected to the Modem. Can you connect to the admin screen of the Modem address - 192.168.0.1.

If so, have you disabled Beam Forming in the Wi-Fi section of the Admin screens. This will then broadcast and show you two separate Wi-Fi SSIDs instead of one. Try connecting to the strongest signal, the 2.4Ghz radio first to see if connection improves. First, forget previous SSID in Mac and reconnect to the active SSID. The 5 Ghz SSID is faster but has a weaker signal meaning it won't reach out as far at the 2.4 Ghz SSID. 

Did you deploy an Extender?

0 Kudos
New Contributor WDZOZ
New Contributor

Hello all, thanks for your input...

I think the Optus supplied modem was the culprit, Looks like the wifi extender (Router) did the trick...So far so good..

thanks again

0 Kudos
Top Contributors