cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Consistent Huawei B525 data choking?

I wish to preface that I have had my B525s-65a router for about a year now on a $70 200GB monthly SIM with relatively few issues, however, the last few months have changed that somewhat.

Recently, my router has been choking my connection up to as frequently as once an hour, either forcing me to disconnect from my laptop and reconnect, or just straight up on/off/on-ing the router itself. The device remains "connected" the entire time, as the LED indicator has never turned red during these choke periods. Usually, my connection sits at around 3.3mbps (kind of pathetic really, but it's normally enough for youtube), but this can drop to nothing with zero warning way more than I'd deem even vaguely acceptable...

Sometimes rebooting my router will make the speed spike up to 9-12mbps for a few minutes, but it will always drop back down to the 3-5mbps mark within ten or so minutes. And sometimes rebooting it does nothing at all and I'm right back to square one with 0.1mbps download while the router is virtually cuddling my connected laptop.

I've gone into the router's settings itself after reading that these chokings can maybe be attributed to the router trying to jump between signals/networks randomly to find a "good" one, but locking it to only one signal strength only helped for a short while before the choking started happening again.

Does anyone else experience similar with this router on a mobile broadband SIM? Or any potential advice?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Consistent Huawei B525 data choking?

@HaresPlague  Please message Optus Support 24/7 from the My Optus app. If you do not have access to the My Optus app you can use social media to contact Optus Support, please send a PM to Optus on  Facebook or a DM on Twitter and include in the message you do not have access to the My Optus app.

When you contact support explain the issue and request they do a High Level Rebuild on your account, this may also be referred to as resetting the codes on your account.

I am an Optus subscriber, just trying to help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Consistent Huawei B525 data choking?

@HaresPlagueIf you want to see what band(s) the B525 is using try one of the apps on the following thread or similar apps:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-Telnet-into-either-the-B525-or-B818-that-O...

I would try to block B40 first up and see how you go as B40 seems to cause this type of problem based on posts I have seen and my experience. If it's not B40 then the modem could be connecting to a band with a "small" bandwidth and as such a small download speed.

Good luck. Based on past experience with Optus support they will not be able to support you as they do not know that the modems can be locked to specific bands or even worse allot of the support staff do not know what a mobile band is.

If you need further help try the Optus forum on whirlpool https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/18?g=128 as it has people who with more experience than me or any Optus support staff I have dealt with so far.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors