cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connecting an antenna into Optus modem

Hi, I have bought an antenna for the Optus modem Huawei E5186 4G. The modem has two built-in antennas; I'm guessing one for receiving and sending signals and two external antenna ports. 

When you connect an antenna into one of the external ports which one of the two ports should I connect for a receiving signal into. Would both work as either sending or receiving and do the internal ones disable if you connect an external source, if not how does the modem know which source to take the signal from. 

Sorry if I have got this completely wrong, don’t know much about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Connecting an antenna into Optus modem

Hi @Barda,

Generally speaking we're able to provide technical support for Optus services or products, however third party software/hardware is unfortunately outside of our support boundaries . If you're needing a hand with antenna support, I recommend getting in touch with Huawei or your local IT professional so they can provide some more information and support.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What type of antenna did you purchase?

Depending on the band that you are using you need to use a particular type of MIMO antenna with two connections for the best results.

A single antenna connected to the modem will not make a big improvement and may be worse than the two inbuilt antennas. When an external antenna is connected the internal antennas are not utilised.

It would be best to buy a decent antenna which is mounted outside that uses both of the connections on the E5186.

Have a look here;

https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/catalog/all-antennas

Helimedic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hey Eric,

What were the pre and post result with this antenna? Trying to understand how much improvement you saw and if it's worth the $. 

Also, does the installation require line of sight?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors