Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor murraydiesel78
New Contributor

Close account

I was admitted suddenly to the ICU at Austin Hospital on October 1st.  My father has made what he considers 3 successful attempts to close my account.  On each occasion he was told there was nothing to pay.  Yet still I get a bill for $113 every month.  After 3 months I am finally off life support but face 3 more months at least in hospital.  Optus is now threatening to place my account in the hands of a collection agency.  This is what I will face if I ever get out.

The treatment is simply disgraceful.  No matter how we try to navigate around the Optus site, we can find no way of cancelling this account for a 4th time.

Any help anyone can give would be most welcome.  We simply want Optus to go away and out of our lives forever.  Their support is deliberately confusing and one section of the organisation has no idea what the other section is doing.

Ben.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Close account

Perhaps try the OPtus Hardship line. They may be better set up to listen and close the account.

https://www.optus.com.au/about/legal/financial-hardship

Alternatively WRITE a letter to Optus (not too long) detailing when you notified the account to be closed and how (phone? LiveChat?) and saying the outstanding bill should be adjusted accordingly.

PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106 SA
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Close account

Hi Ben,

That is pretty crummy that it sounds like you're doing this from your hospital bed? It definitely shouldn't need to be like that.

Generally service cancellations can only be actioned when Optus is speaking with the Account Holder. Does your Dad have authority to access your account e.g. via Power of Attorney?

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. Copy and paste what you have posted here and I'm confident the team will be able to finally sort this out. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors