Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can I use the Optus supplied modem/router to create segregated networks on my home network?

Is it possible to use the Optus supplied modem/router to create segregated networks on my home network? If so, how do I find out how to do it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Security

Short answer: No

Long answer: Nope

Spoiler
In the end it boils down to which modem you have and whether or not you have/can obtain admin access. And even then its probably not possible to do it properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not Really. Depends how segregated you want?

For a tenant? Family members? Can you trust them?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I just want to keep one IoT device isolated from the rest of my network to avoid possibility of hacking the network via this device. The modem I have does have Client Isolation for each wireless network so I was thinking - could I make sure all my devices except the IoT is on one wireless n/w and isolate both of them? I guess the best solution is to just configure VLANs but I don't think that is possible on my modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer. I want to isolate an IoT device from my other devices (laptops, phone, printer etc.) so that they are secure from hacking via that device. VLANs are the best way i guess but my modem doesn't seem to support them. It does support Client Isolation which might work? Or do I need to buy a new router that does support VLAN?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds beyond my level of expertise (but I suspect the answer is no, the Optus modem is generally a dumbed down device for the masses and you won't have access to elements like the ones you want.) Hopefully someone can provide more.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@PaddyButler wrote:

VLANs are the best way i guess but my modem doesn't seem to support them. It does support Client Isolation which might work?

Client Isolation/Guest Networks are VLAN, just pre-configured. Routers usually have those advertised as features for wifi only.

0 Kudos