Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RokerRooDave
New Contributor
New Contributor

CHROMECAST works from iphones but not laptops

Chromecast on TV can be connected via iPhone, Android phone, and google home  device, all via my home wireless network.
Chromecast cannot be found from any of my 3 laptops via same wireless network, the scan from the CHrome browser doesnt find anything.

All phones and laptops can access the internet via wifi on the home network.
I can ping the chromecast device from the Laptop, as I found the IP by checking on the SEGEMCOM Optus NBN device. 
They are all on the same class C network. The default 192.168.0.0 /24

MyOptus NBN wireless router is a SEGEMCOM Optus.
I also have a remote wireless access point near the TV (Chromecast device), cabled to the SEGEMCOM . Both have same SSID. DHCP is only on the main SEGEMCOM.
I tried with the PC connected to access point , and then to segemcom . No good both times .
Is there a setting I need to change on the SEGEMCOM settings ?
Is there a setting on WINDOWS 7 I need to change ? (I disabled the firewall on windows)
I dont believe I am using the 5G wireless interface, only the 2.4G, and the cabled ports.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: CHROMECAST works from iphones but not laptops

I was going to ask about the 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz. Are you positive you're only using 2.4? I run into this problem every now and then with some devices on one band and others on the other. 

The alternative is, have you got the google cast plug in installed? Maybe try installing (or uninstalling and re-installing) that

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@SamSam

I don't think it should make any difference whether your on 2.4 or 5ghz. I tend to use both in my house depending whereabouts I am and never had a problem. Both my Chromecast are on 5ghz and I can connect to then with my phone on 2.4ghz or PC. But that said always worth a try.

Just confirmation from @RokerRooDave when you try to cast from Chrome you go to Chrome settings and then click on cast and your Chromecast device doesn't show on the dropdown Cast to?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RokerRooDave
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @SamSam  

Yes , nothing in the dropdown when I click the cast icon on the laptop.
I also try using the URL :  "https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/"  from CHROME Browse, and select "set up your Chromecast", the scan attempts to find the chromecast be never does.
Will try re-installing the chromecast when I get home tonight.

0 Kudos
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It sounds like your second "Access point" isn't acting as an AP but as another router which is physically separating the networks apart.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors