Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
HVD
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Bridging Optus Ultra Wifi Modem

Hi,

I just recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk AX12 RAX200 Triband Router. I am currently FTTP and using a landline service (I have to use the Ultra Wifi Modem as my main router). I would like to bridge my two routers because my Ultra Wifi Modem does not cover my whole house. Is there any way to bridge it?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Bridging Optus Ultra Wifi Modem

Hi @HVD

Please check out this post on how you can bridge your Optus Ultra WiFi modem with the Netgear modem. 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@HVD 

The ultra does not have bridge mode. And if it did have a bridge mode it would kill the phone line.

@Serena_YC 

While most people will probably not have any problems getting working internet (in general) with the procedure you linked to, that is not describing bridge mode, although you do that as part of bridge mode.

0 Kudos
HVD
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc Is there any way to make my network connection reach the end of the house without having two separate network connections then?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As I mentioned to Serena, the link she posted has instructions that should work for most people, but that is not a true bridge setup. You will be in a "Double NAT" but that may not impact your depending on exactly what devices you have and what they are trying to do.

If you have game consoles connected to the nighthawk then you will probably run int a Double NAT problem, most commonly if you try and host a match.  If that does end up as a problem it can be worked around.

You can also try and put the Nighthark into AP mode and see if that fixes the issue.

To confirm that its a Double NAT problem and not a firewall issue you should connect the console directly to the Ultra and make sure it works there first.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I have switched the ethernet cable from my secondary router's (Optus Modem/Router) ethernet WAN port to its LAN port. However, in doing so, the internet has switched from fibre to sim card

That is as expected behaviour. Internet comes through the WAN port, and the Optus router couldn't detect internet through WAN so it assumed it was a fault and switched to internet through SIM.

and the landline does not work.

The phone does not work in 4G backup mode. And even you could get internet to work via its LAN port the phone still would not work because the phone is expecting the internet from the WAN port.

Now, I have made the Optus Router my main router and the Netgear Router my secondary router, putting the ethernet cable into the Netgear router's LAN port.

What you've done there is essentially turned the Netgear into a switch rather then a router.

Now I would like to see if I could make the Netgear Router the main router but also make the Optus Router use fibre instead of sim card and make my landline functional.

Having the Netgear as the primary and 1 network and working phone *should* be doable but its really messy, hard to explain simply, and a real pain to debug through a forum.

Any specific reason you can't/don't want to have the Optus as primary?

0 Kudos
HVD
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc I want my Netgear Router as my main router because it is more powerful than the Optus router and it is where my family usually is and I want my internet to be at its best when multiple devices are connected and are using the internet.

0 Kudos
Aron_YC

Hey @HVD

I don't have a great answer for you however I can tell you that I'm in the same boat. I have a older modem but it's the same situation, doesn't reach my property so I use a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 that I was lucky enough to get for nothing. 

I ran into the exact problem @YetAnotherAcc mentioned with the double NAT, which is really only an issue for me when matchmaking or hosting while gaming. I recently, as in the last couple of days, got really annoyed with it and was trying to find a way to do what you're trying to. I wasn't successful and I have ended up just running an Ethernet cable to my PC, switching off WiFi on the Optus modem and using only the Nighthawk's WiFi network. It's still got the double NAT issue but that hasn't impacted anything beyond gaming so it's fine for my purposes now that I've got my PC on a wired connection. 

I realise this isn't particularly helpful but figure I'd let you know my own experience and what I ended up doing. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@HVD 

With the Nighthawk as main, I assume you want the Optus to used by other devices and not just as a phone, correct?

@Aron_YC 

Which Router is your main Router?

Are you doing any port forwarding? If so, on which router? To get around double NAT for consoles can usually be done just port forward. It may need to be done on one or both of the routers.

0 Kudos
Aron_YC

@YetAnotherAcc

Just using the Nighthawk as my main router now, Optus router has WiFi turned off. I've tried port forwarding, on both, and disabling any NAT restrictions on the Nighthawk, but I just can't get it. It's only an issue for my gaming PC so I just ran an Ethernet cable today. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors