cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Better deals for new rather than existing members?

I signed up to a 12 months SiM only plan for $35 a month which includes 3 gig internet data. Not longer after I see Optus have offered a much better plan including much, much more data to new customers. Lots of telcos do this sort of thing. Ie. treat existing customers worse. Any advice to me and others when this happens? Eg. How to access the better deal? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Blog Author

Re: Better deals for new rather than existing members?

@DFP, it's always a good idea to see whether you qualify for one of our news offers.

There's often rules around rate plan changing/recontracting onto your new offers.

Generally, the customer will be required to recontract for a set period i.e. another 12 months.

A good example is our current Flash Sale.

This offer is open to new and existing customers. Existing customers will need to re-sign for an additional 12-month period. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can understand the buyers remorse on 3Gb for $35. I'm not sure where you found that deal as Optus have been offering around 30Gb for that amount for a while now. 

Many industries offer honey pot deals, the age of customer loyalty has long gone and anyone content to just accept ongoing subscription is generally charged the 'lazy tax'. All you can do is try find the best deal that doesn't lock you in for too long and put an entry in your calendar to review utility contracts down the track when the option comes up.

FWIW Optus is actually pretty good IME at making offers available to both new and existing customers. If under contract your are obviously locked at but once done you can wait a bit and a good deal often comes along (aka flash sales). 

For those that are for new customers only its actually pretty straight forward (and cheap) to convert you out of contract deal to a prepaid Optus option (Select I'M WITH OPTUS on the SIM only page). As a prepaid customer you are considered a new customer for any other deals on offer. Took me about a week to switch in and out with almost no actual down time.

But for yourself you might be stuck for 12 months. Optus generally don't make any decent deals for much less than $35 and instead just offer more data for prices equal or higher to that price point. If you don't need more than 3Gb then what's the point in paying say $10 more for 30Gb that you'll rarely use? 

You should ask for the cancellation charge for your plan, it might be quite low or alternatively you might be able to jump up a data notch in your plan family for little extra per month and no penalties.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you. I have contacted Optus and changed my plan to take advantgae of new offers. 

Top Contributors