Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bulamakdoggy
New Contributor
New Contributor

5GHz Wifi channel dissapeared

Optus had technical issues and was down early yesterday and last night. Now 5GHz Wifi channel has dissapeared.

Has it been taken down by Optus ?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: 5GHz Wifi channel dissapeared

Hey @Bulamakdoggy - thanks for sharing this with us here.

We appreciate your patience due to yesterdays technical issue. Can you please try restarting the Optus modem by having it off for about 2-3 minutes before turning it back on? Let me know if the 5Ghz turns back on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Bulamakdoggy
New Contributor
New Contributor

Turned it off for 5 mins and has not fixed, still cannot see 5GHz channel.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Check the devices wifi settings and see if Band Steering is turned on. When turned on it causes the two seperate 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz SSIDs to merge into a single SSID.
Steven_YC

Can you please then perform a hard reset/factory reset for me on the modem? There should be a small hole in the back of the modem, you'll just need to insert a sharp object and hold it for about 15-30 seconds and allow it to reboot. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Bulamakdoggy
New Contributor
New Contributor

Issue with that is all settings will go back to factory and i dont know how to access settings to go back to rename channels.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - if you are not comfortable doing a factory reset yet, you can access the modem's administration screens by using your PC's web browser and entering the following digits into the address bar at the top of your screen   192.168.0.1  You will asked to enter your User ID which is optus and the Password will be printed on the modem's label - the default is actually used to link to your Wi-Fi network and also used for admin screen access. Once you change it to your preferred name, it will update both.

You should be able to Disable Band Steering and SAVE to allow the modem to broadcast both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz as separate names instead of the default common name for both bands. If the modem shows the 5Ghz band as active in the screen and you still can't see the 5Ghz band from all your devices , the firmware may have been corrupted and knocked out the 5GHz radio or if it is only your device, it may have issues. Let us know as there are other tests that you can do to verify what is causing the problem.

I had a similar issue as you after a test modem did firmware update and knocked out the 5Ghz band. What is the modem you have and its firmware version - should be visible in your admin screen?

0 Kudos