cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor AlexH2
New Contributor

4g wireless issues

Have recently signed up to wireless home broadband 500gb, day time speed is good , but evening is a joke , can’t download or stream Netflix, I moved away from adsl to get faster speeds used to get between 12-15mb download . What are my options have been onto support every day. Have also raised a complaint 

5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 4g wireless issues

The fact you day time speeds are OK suggests no issue with the hardware / setup. 4G is a shared medium, which means the more people that use it the slower the speeds for everyone. Unfortunately Optus seem to be selling high data 4G plans very heavily. There seems to be no attempt to moderate user numbers and so peak hour congestion is pretty inevitable in some areas (what post code are you in?). Optus also make no representation of likely speeds over 4G and also state that home 4G speeds will be the first they cut bandwidth from if other mobile phone speeds are being affected. In short, there's not a lot you can do except wait for the NBN (or 5G) I'm afraid.

Although one thought is buying a phone from Optus with a big data plan and using it as a hotspot. Its 4G as well but posssibly has more priority?

The performance should means you should be able to exit the contract without penalty though if you want.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor O_ptus_sucks
New Contributor

I too have problems. But mine seems to be hardware related now. During the day everything is perfect. But night time it’s a joke. I restart the modem and it’s fine for 10 minutes then it drops out again. 

I have so much regret with this service. Wish I never signed up. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It could be worthwhile contacting the team on social media, either on our FB or Twitter pages. 

They'll  be able raise an investigation with our Mobile Case Management Team.

We'll able to determine where the issue stems from i.e. cell congestion, faulty equipment etc. We’ll also be able to track session times. They should have a log of the session duration and the number of times that service has lost contact with your local tower. 

From there, we'll take you through some options. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Holz
Occasional Contributor

YES!!! I had to get wireless broadband when i moved into my new place in march as my estate was a "service black hole" and not only was nbn not available yet.. ADSL & ADSL2 were also unavailable!!!! Wtf!? But anyways, the service is an absolute joke. In the evenings it runs so bloody slow its basically non existent. You cant stream anything, downloading anything takes hours, its soooo frustrating i want to smash the damn modem mosts nights. Ive literally given up. I dont know what im paying for!! Evenings are generally when most people watch Netflix, Stan or a similar service, or download something to watch. But its a waste of time trying with the crappy wireless service Optus provides. Im literally throwing my money down the toilet every month. Thank GOD NBN just became available & i can switch. But that takes over 2 weeks to connect. After previously having NBN at my old place, it feels like im back on dial-up net again!!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear the NBN has finally rolled up. Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors