Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
StubyDoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi bands

A couple of days back my wifi extender failed to connect and, on further inspection, I notice the 2.4GHz band was no longer available as a connection option, only 5GHz. Has the Optus Ultra WiFi modem dropped 2.4GHz band?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nard_YC

Re: 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi bands

Hi there @StubyDoo. Thanks for posting on YesCrowd. 

Our Optus Ultra WiFi modem is dual-band meaning it supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi connections. 

When searching for WiFi networks, the 2.4GHz SSID should just be your Optus one without "5G" or "5GHz" at the end. 

If you still can't seem to find it, I'd recommend:

• Entering your modem settings (GUI) by entering 192.168.0.1 and entering the credentials which are listed on the back of your modem. Then checking to see if 2.4GHz is disabled, if it is then re-enable it.
  • If the above doesn't work, please try factory resetting your modem by locating the reset button on the back of the modem and holding that down with a pointed object for 10 seconds until the modem lights flash

Hopefully, this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
StubyDoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for swift response, I'll give that a try.
0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Anytime, @StubyDoo! Keep us posted on how you go. 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nard_YC wrote:

When searching for WiFi networks, the 2.4GHz SSID should just be your Optus one without "5G" or "5GHz" at the end. 

Unless "Band Steering" is enabled. When that functionality was added (with the release of Optus Ultra WiFi Booster) I'm fairly sure it was enabled by default.

With Band Steering enabled you now only see 1 SSID name, so no 5G/5GHz SSID's.

Top Contributors