Searching...
Highlighted

What is WiFi Talk and How to use the App

[ Edited ]
Andy

What is WiFi Talk?

If you’re experiencing limited indoor mobile coverage, WiFi Talk can help keep you connected. All you need is WiFi, no mobile signal necessary!

optis wifi talk optus screenshot.png

WiFi Talk is an app from Optus that lets you make and receive calls and text over a WiFi connection within Australia using your Optus mobile number.

WiFi Talk is a free app available for download from the App Store and Google Play. You’ll require an iPhone running iOS version 7.0 or above, or an Android phone running version 4.0 or above. Calls and text made using WiFi Talk will be charged to your mobile bill with all the same inclusions and rates as your normal mobile rate plan.

How to use the App

Download the app for your smartphone.

AppStoreIcon.pnggooglePlayIcon.png

Once downloaded, open your WiFi Talk app, go through the activation steps and add your WiFi network to your hotspot list. To make a call or send a text all you need to do is open and use the app. Calls and texts that you receive will come through the app. It’s that simple!

As the app uses your mobile number, the people you’re contacting don’t need the app and won’t know you’re using it.

When you’re out of WiFi range your phone will switch back to using the Optus mobile network, so you can continue making and receiving calls as normal.  Once open, the app will quietly wait in the background for a nearby WiFi hotspot that you’ve added to your list. You can use the app at home, the office, or in places where you can access WiFi*

WiFi Talk doesn’t use your mobile data to make or receive calls; it only uses a small amount of data from the WiFi hotspot you’re connecting to. As a rough guide, it’s about 300 kB/min for calls, and 80 kB/hour when your phone is idle and its running in the background.

* subject to WiFi availability in the building/area, and firewall settings for that WiFi connection.

For more info on WiFi Talk take a look at the below user guides:

WiFi Talk User Guide – iOS
WiFi Talk User Guide – Android

Got a question about WiFi Talk? Leave a comment below!

Re: What is WiFi Talk and How to use the App

robertcameron10

Why not use the inbuilt WiFi calling functionality in the iPhone rather than create a new app?

[ Edited ]
ml_winti

Hi Andy,

This sounds like a great app! Unfortunately I get the following Error: 'Looks like there is an issue with your device. WiFi Talk can only be accessed on valid android installations.'

I use a OnePlus One with Android 5.0.2 (Cyanogen OS version 12.0). Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks and best regards,

Markus

2015-08-10 23.59.50.png

robertcameron10

I've installed this on my iPhone 6 and it works perfectly.

My one gripe is why not use the in-built functionality of the iPhone. Now I have two phone apps to juggle which don't share information such a call lists. I also have to ensure that the app is open in order to receive calls.

Also I'm not sure what happens if I leave the house whilst on a call - does it automatically and seemlessly hand-off the call to the cellular network?

liamt

Just downloaded the app on my s5 and it works great! My house usually has bad reception so youve made me happy optus Smiley Happy

@robertcameron10 does the iphone app let you call android users?

[ Edited ]
ml_winti

Hi @robertcameron10,

If you’re in the middle of a call and you leave a WiFi connection, the call will drop out. :-(

--> http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage/wi-fi-talk

Cheers,

Markus

[ Edited ]
Andy

Hey @ml_winti thanks for the message! We don't provide a handset with a Cyanogen Android mod which is why you're seeing the error Smiley Sad Currently only supported Android versions with 4.0 and above will work.

ml_winti

Thanks @Andy.

I would be happy to test it for Optus on the OnePlus One ;-)

richpay85

will this app work on my ipad to make or get incoming calls at all?

Andy

Hi @richpay85 thanks for the question. Can confirm the app is not available for iPad at this time.

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
4 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos