cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus kicks off Team of Experts

Just thought we'd share this article in the Australian Financial Review (you may need a subscription to read it) to share some insight on what's happening at Optus. You can also read the Optus Media Release.

Here's a summary of the article:

By DAVID SWAN, TECHNOLOGY EDITOR
DECEMBER 2, 2020 

Optus is shifting every one of its customers to a new ‘Community of Experts’ program.

Australia‘s second largest telco says it has learned from one of North America’s largest telcos, T-Mobile, in a years-long project in which customers will be assigned a specific multidisciplinary team responsible for any queries.

Announced this week, Optus says that within six months every one of its customers will be
transferred to the new program, which it hopes will help customers avoid being bounced around
between chat bots, frustrating phone menus and seemingly random customer service
representatives. Optus customers will be connected to the same support team for every query they have.

Optus Vice President of Customer Care, Mark Baylis, told The Australian “We are reinventing our contact centre end-to-end, from the technology we use, to the way we reward our people, to the way we bring digital to life in every single interaction. This is unique to Optus and is core to us creating lasting customer relationships."

“Contact centres are notorious for bumping customers around, not taking ownership and putting
the problem on the customer. We knew that if we get our customer service right, our customers will be happier and we can create a better relationship with them. It was a huge change for us to make.”

Mr Baylis added that the telco‘s Community of Experts journey began 18 months ago, which started with a visit to South Carolina to better understand the T-Mobile business transformation.
He said on arriving back to Australia the company quickly began to experiment with its own
community model, and saw immediate benefits, with customer experience satisfaction lifting by 10 points and customer transfers reduced by 50 per cent.

“We knew we were onto something with such promising results, so quickly expanded into our
overseas teams, setting up a total of 5 communities. This continued to go from strength to strength, showing our customers were happier and our people ‘Experts’ loved it,” he said.

During the peak of COVID crisis, Optus rapidly expanded its Community of Experts across all of
care operations, in Australia and our global operations, spanning some 3,500 people.

“This is the single largest transformation our Customer Care teams have experienced,” he said. ”The undertaking was mammoth and something we continue to refine and mature today. Community of Experts continues to mature, with new skills, new people and new processes coming into Communities every three weeks."

“It’s exciting to see the positive impact this change has had on our customers, our people and our
business. It really is the future of building lasting and trusted customer relationships.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
3 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus kicks off Team of Experts

Sounds very promising. Will that extend to yescrowd so that we can improvements on the quality of answers we get?

I, for example, have been relying on yourself and Dan for expert knowledge on all things Optus (especially on the tech side), but sadly for months virtually all of my non-basic questions have gone unanswered. If you guys are unable to be the resident experts here anymore, will there be others similarly qualified to take your place?

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey YetAnotherACC - This will extend to our community in the future! The two of us are still present on Yes Crowd, mainly doing things behind the scenes like reviewing survey feedback, providing feedback on common issues raised here and working with various teams at Optus, etc. and are still happy to be called upon where suitable.
Dan and myself are point of contact for the moderators. They are empowered to have full control and provide the technical experience and amazing service that the Team of Experts bring.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:
The two of us ... are still happy to be called upon where suitable.

That's what's I've been doing and all I mostly get is silence. So you are saying that most of my callouts were not suitable, seriously?

I found out a few weeks ago that Dan hasn't been getting the callouts (tags) since March (which would have been useful to know way back then), so how exactly am I supposed to call upon him?

You. me and @AlistarS have very different views of what "suitable" is.

I wouldn't have minded if you/Dan didn't respond to me directly, but no one form Optus answered the questions I asked.

0 Kudos