Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus Messaging explained

Optus messaging.png
At Optus we’re always on the hunt for ways to help better service our customers. We’re pleased to announce that we’ve now launched Messaging which is replacing Live Chat - so, what’s the difference? We’ve outlined some of the key changes brought about by messaging. We’ll also show how to use the service and tips for getting the best possible experience.

Remember, you will need to be registered for My Account. Learn more about the benefits of My Account here.

Chat vs Messaging, what’s the difference?

To set the record straight, Chat and Messaging are not the same thing. There are several things which distinguish the two forms of digital communication. We’ve listed a few of the major differences below:

Optus Messaging:

• Messaging interactions are on your time and your terms: You have the convenience of being able to enter and leave the interaction whenever you please. Messaging allows you to set your own pace. You’re not bound to a single session - pop in and out of interactions as you please
  • View your entire conversation history: Your entire messaging history is immediately available on both sides of the interaction, so you’ll always be on the same page
  • Dealing with complex issues is less time consuming: Messaging allows you to send us a query, then get on with your day. As soon we have an answer, you'll receive a notification

Live Chat:

• Chat interactions took place in real-time and were session based: When you used our Chat service the interaction took place over a single chat session. If you were to accidentally close out of the chat or decide to leave, the conversation thread would be lost
  • Chat provided no context for future interactions: The Optus agent didn’t have an immediate view of the previous interaction. Chat agents were reliant on notes left by agents who had interacted with you in the past. This would often prolong the length of your interaction

How do I use Messaging?

For the best possible experience, we suggest messaging through the My Optus app . If you don’t have the app, simply head to the app store to download the My Optus app. For those who prefer, you can also continue the message over on your My Account. If you stop a conversation in My Account, you can pick it up in the app!

Message us via the My Optus app

Message us via the My Optus app.JPG

Messaging as it appears in the My Optus app

1) Open the My Optus app

2) Select Message Us from the Help menu

3) Login to your My Account to start Messaging

Select your product and enquiry.JPG

4) Select the product you need help with

5) Select the area of your enquiry:

- Billing and General support: Billing and General product & service enquiries

- Track your order: Support for Broadband installation/activation, mobile service activation and delivery enquiries)

- Technical issues: Broadband & Mobile faults and device troubleshooting

- Sales: Connect with an agent from our Sales team

6) Begin your conversation!

Message us via My Account 

Message us via My Account.png

Your My Account Dashboard

1)
Head to the  Optus My Account page

2) Once you have logged in, you can message via the Message Us tab on the bottom of left of your screen

Messaging via My Accont.png

The messaging interaction screen

3) Start messaging!

Want to learn more? Check out the articles below: 

As always, if you have any questions - drop us a comment below 😊

1 Reply
Highlighted
New Contributor Trent85
New Contributor

Re: Optus Messaging explained

May I ask what the targets are for response times on your staff using the messaging feature?

I feel a move like this is an allowance to increase the amount of time taken on responding to clients whereas a Live Chat requires the representatives to provide a timely follow up.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors