Searching...
Highlighted

Its time to update your Mobile Broadband

[ Edited ]
Andy

You’ve probably received a letter from us about  updating your Mobile Broadband settings. We recommend you update your Access Point Name (APN) settings now to get the best out of your service and avoid any issues after the update.

Upgrading your APN settings is easy to do and we'll guide you through the process step-by-step.

WHAT'S AN APN?
An APN or Access Point Name is an authentication setting that allows your Mobile Broadband device to connect to specific services on the Optus Mobile Network.

HERE'S HOW TO CHANGE YOUR APN

The steps to update your APN depend on the mobile broadband device that you are currently using. Follow the steps below for your Mobile Broadband dongle, Android or iOS device.

Should your particular device ask for further settings than outlined in steps below, please refer to ‘MORE MOBILE BROADBAND APN TECHNICAL SETTINGS’ section at the bottom of this page.

Mobile Broadband Dongle (USB Modem)

(WINDOWS & MAC OS-X)

1. Open your Optus Mobile Broadband application
  2. Click the 'Tools' (A) menu then select 'Options' (B)
    1.png
  3. In the 'Options' window. Select 'Profile Management' (C) then click 'New' (D) (image below) 
  4. In the 'Profile Name' field (E): Enter a name that is easily identifiable as the new APN
  5. In the APN field (F): Enter your plan's APN, as ‘CONNECT’
  6. In the 'Access number' field (G) ensure *99# is entered
  7. For Mac OS-X only: The authentication option to select is 'CHAP' 
  8. Leave all other fields blank 
    2.png
  9. Optional: Click the 'Default' button if you would like this new APN profile to be preselected in the 'Profile Name' drop-down list on the main connection screen.
  10. Click 'Save' (H) then 'OK' (I) to return to the main connection screen
    3.png
  • Please note: You should not use your new APN profile unless your plan has changed. Once your new plan takes effect, remove and re-insert your modem to ensure your new network settings are refreshed then select your new APN from the drop-down list in the main connection screen (Example below).4.png

Mobile Broadband WiFi Modem

1. Turn on your router

Tap and hold On/Off.

1. Establish connection to Wi-Fi Hotspot

Connect to the internet

1. Establish a connection to the router web interface

Open a browser.

Key in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and tap Enter.

If you're asked to key in your PIN:

Highlight the field next to "PIN code" and key in your PIN.

Click Apply.

Click Log In.

Highlight the field below "Password" and key in admin

Click Log In.

If an incorrect PIN is entered three times in a row, your SIM will be blocked. To unblock your SIM, you'll need to key in your PUK. The PUK can be obtained by contacting Customer Service.
Please note:
If an incorrect PUK is entered ten times in a row, your SIM is blocked permanently. In this case, you'll need a new SIM from Optus.

1. Find "New Profile"

Click Connection Settings.

5.png

Click Profile Management.

6.png

Click New Profile.

7.png

1. Enter data connection name

Highlight the field next to "Profile name" and key in a name.

8.png

1. Enter APN

Highlight the field next to "APN".

9.png

Key in CONNECT

1. Save and exit

Click Save.

Click Log Out.

Click OK.

iPad

Please note: It is unlikely that your iPad APN settings will need to be changed, however in the event of a connection problem, we have provided these instructions or you can or refer to the full technical settings list below

1. From your Home Screen: Tap 'Settings' (Turn Wi-Fi off)
  2. Tap 'Mobile Data' / 'Cellular Data'
  3. Tap 'APN Settings'
  4. Enter the APN exactly as ‘CONNECT’
  5. Leave the username / password field blank
  6. Completely switch off your iPad - by holding down the sleep/wake button for 5 seconds and dragging the red slider across.
  7. Restart your iPad by holding down your sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears
  8. Your iPad will now use the new APN

mac or ipad help.jpg

Android Tablets

Please note: Instructions can differ with the Android version you have installed, these are the most commonly used settings/fields

1. From Your Home Screen: Tap 'Applications'
  2. Tap 'Tap Settings'
  3. Tap 'More Settings'
  4. Tap 'Wireless & Network'
  5. Tap 'Mobile Networks' then 'Access Point Names' (ie. APNs)
  6. Select the APN you need or Tap the 'Options' menu (top right) then Tap 'New APN' to add a missing APN
  7. In the Name field type the 'APN Name' and in the 'APN field' enter ‘CONNECT’ and any other required fields. (Use the full technical settings list below)
  8. Completely switch off your tablet
  9. Restart your tablet to use the new APN

MBB not connecting.jpg

MORE MOBILE BROADBAND APN TECHNICAL SETTINGS

Some tablets and devices may ask you to fill out further settings when adding or changing an APN, for your reference here is the full list of recommended entries

• Name: Same as APN or your preferred name
  • APN: CONNECT’
  • Proxy: Not set or leave blank
  • Port: Not set or leave blank
  • Username: Not set or leave blank
  • Password: Not set or leave blank
  • Server: Not set or leave blank
  • Home Page / MMSC: Not set or leave blank*
  • Primary / MMS Proxy: Not set or leave blank*
  • MMS Port: Not set or leave blank*
  • MMS Protocol (For Android): WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 02
  • Auth Type: PAP (or CHAP with Mac OS-X)
  • APN Type: internet or leave blank*
  • Telephone Number: *99#

NEED MORE HELP?

Ask the community below

Re: Its time to update your Mobile Broadband

dimsilhouette

This deserves to be pinned

Re: Its time to update your Mobile Broadband

adeylouwho

I know this was posted 3 years ago but I was told by the person the just sold me my wireless broadband sim that I could make it with my current set up.  TPLink Router with 4G and LTE....do you know if this APN is still the same?  I am finding it hard to find information and Optus are tight lipped because I am supposed to pay for their modem when my is brand new and perfectly good.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
34 Kudos
10 Kudos
7 Kudos
4 Kudos
4 Kudos