Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Where in Optus T&C's does it state that the EPL broadcast is not actually LIVE?!

Hey Optus, I'm not happy about this, The video quality and content quality is fine, I have no problem with this, but I have contacted your tech support to verify that the 60 second delay in broadcast experienced is "normal" due to a "relay of the broadcast from singapore" and that my problem is not a valid technical issue that can be investigated......

If this is true, why isn't this disclosed more clearer on your advertisements?! Did you honestly believe that in this day and age with radio streaming, match text based commentary, alternative streaming sites, social media, that this wouldn't have been noticed? 

It has ruined my experience of what was so far a very good product.

What are you going to do about this? Allow all customers who object to simply walk away? Thats not good enough.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Where in Optus T&C's does it state that the EPL broadcast is not actually LIVE?!

There will always be a delay with any broadcast; even over radio, TV, Satellite or Social Media. The only question is the size of the delay. Our Network team are working to reduce the time difference but encoding and rebroadcasting over several different channels will introduce some delay and is unavoidable. 

Our broadcast is not time-shifted and is considered "live" as we are sending it out a quickly as we receive it. There is no artificial delay introduced into the stream at all. Our backend servers need to receive the signal and encrypt and package it to send out over website, Apps and Yes TV by Fetch boxes. That all takes time and is the reason behind the delay you're noticing.

We understand it may not be possible to avoid any spoilers from other channels like Social Media that are live tweeting etc. You can choose to mute notifications while you're watching a live game to mitigate this.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Where in Optus T&C's does it state that the EPL broadcast is not actually LIVE?!

Nghi, what amount of time does Optus believe is reasonble? a minute is not reasonable in my opinion and that's not just me, it's the same length of time other people i know are experiencing....i find your position that "this is how optus works, you should have known and now you do it, put up with it by doing this" to be a deplorable response given the expectations you are dealing with in promoting your product to a completely new customer base.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I guess it's less about what is reasonable and what is actually possible...It's streaming so there is always gonna be a delay. Give them a break I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Personally as long as I get a FHD and stable stream I am willing to sacrifice the delay of around ~30+ seconds. Seamless viewing experience is what I am more concerned. 

As for the delay, Optus should have stated this clearly in their terms and conditions and a disclaimer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

It seems Optus are being exposed here.

The Australian Financial Review stated that Optus said the delay is to effectively buffer the feed without people realising, as a way of coping with demand. The UK service is relayed to Singapore, where servers buffer the content. It was these servers crashing that caused the delays on the weekend - NOT the UK server feeds.

Saying there is always a delay is ridiculous, can you imagine a skype session where it takes a minute to get a response?

Bet365 has about a 7 second delay on their live feed.

You knew this all along Optus, but you hid it away, and now when exposed you try to baffle us with BS.

You will find the general public are more tech savvy than you think.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

i'd have no problems with 7 seconds. if i had to choose between a dodgy 3rd party stream and 7 second delay (which i use regularly without problem) vs 1 minute delay and clearer picture quality (which most optus customers seem to be saying they're not getting anyway at the moment), i'm sorry Optus but i'll come back when you've got your act together. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if it gets any better. will certainly consider lodging a TIO complaint on principle.

OPTUS - will going to satellite address this problem? is there a solution you could maybe offer for that instead?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Heya! Just to confirm, generally speaking Satellite will have miuch shorter delays then OTT content due to the nature and difference in delivery methods. In saying this, we'd expect the delay via OTT methods to be less than 60 seconds. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am amazed by how bent out of shape you are about a 60second delay...  For the sake of my own curiousity, can you give an example from last weekend's round of fixtures of how this delay ruined your experience to the extent that you want to abandon the service?  I'm just struggling to understand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

1. betting, cash out and other real time dependent functions do not care about australia being screwed to ransom by optus and it's 60 second delay

2. i can no longer participate in my friends whatsapp group as i know i will get a notification 1 minute before i see the goal. 

thank you for telling me you live a different life and choose different ways of enjoying your social entertainment. putting up with optus is putting up with going backwards with technology in society.

for the record i watched sbs on the weekend zero optus and will be doing so againt this weekend 

0 Kudos