Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Video on demand low quaity- Optus Sport

Hi Optus sport. I watch the EPL on the Optus sport app and through fetch might box on my Samsung smart tv.

When watching the games live, the quality is great full HD. When I watch the same game however on mini match; there is a noticeable difference in the stream quality. It's much lower than the full game. It's almost as if, when you guys edit the full game you also lower the quality. I asked through the Optus facebook page why this happens and a moderator from Optus replied with this:

"VOD is our Videos on Demand. This includes any highlights and mini matches. Unfortunately, our rights restrict us into showing mini matches and highlights on standard quality."

Is that actually the case because if so, Stan sport who now have the Uefa Champions league rights, have the same setup in regards to mini matches but they are able to keep them at 1080p HD quality. 

Why is it that Optus Sport's mini matches and highlights package is lower quality than the full live games. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kristy_YC

Re: Video on demand low quaity- Optus Sport

Thanks for sharing this with us. Our Optus Sport Team has been made aware of this issue. Do you mind sending us a Private Message on Facebook/ Twitter so a Team Member can assist you further? 

Ideally, if you could send Optus Sport Twitter a DM that'd be great. 

0 Kudos
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have

0 Kudos
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have already shared this through Optus facebook page. As I said the response from Optus sport moderator was that it was a rights issue. Let me know if you get an answer on why this happens.
0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi there @Zac1011, whilst that info provided to you through FB is correct, the quality of the Optus Sport videos will also depend on the platform and the type of connection you're watching on. 

For most platforms the maximum video quality is 720p. Fetch is the exception to this, as 1080 is available there. 

Watching on a mobile data connection will also result in a lower maximum quality available. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As I am using fetch the quality is 1080. Furthermore my fetch box is wired directly to the internet. Live games are crisp clear quality. So it really is a rights issue? Optus sport basically when extracting highlights of a full game have to lower the quality? I wonder why thats the case when Stan Sport have been able to maintain the 1080 quality when extracting mini matches and highlights of their rights to the Uefa Champions league in Australia. @Jack_YC 

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Yes your'e right @Zac1011. As I mentioned, the info you received from our Facebook team is correct. In my last post, I was providing some context as to why different platforms and connection types can expect different quality. This doesn't apply however to VODs. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for confirming its the VOD rights issue. Was wondering and I know you may not know the answer to that but any chance Optus sport may be looking at ways to to maintain a decent VOD quality.

Do these VOD restrictions expire any time soon or are they connected to the epl rights no matter what. It's a shame thats the case as again comparing you guys to new competitors like Stan sport streaming, they don't have any VOD restrictions it seems with the UCL rights.

@Jack_YC 

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Thanks for your feedback @Zac1011. I've flagged this for our relevant teams to review as we're always looking to improve the services we provide. 

I'm sorry to say I don't have any more info regarding changing the quality of the VODs at this point in time. If you do have any further queries regarding your Optus Sport subscription, I recommend raising an Optus Sport support case that way our TV and Content team will be able to assist you directly. 

0 Kudos
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I remember when Optus had Uefa competitions a few months ago. I remember that even Uefa matches had the same mini match quality issues. It can't be a rights thing as Stan has those same rights and they produce VOD in HD.  @Jack_YC 

0 Kudos