Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
GB01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Very poor quality for first 10-20 seconds

Hi Amam, 

I appreciate your feedback and agree with Dingwall about Optus needing to pad the first 20 seconds if the delay is unavoidable.

That being said, I can't really agree that this is normal on a webstream. 

Normal would be for the 20-30 second delay if playing through on a webstream.

But on a normal webstream if you paused the stream the delay wouldn't be necessary as the loadtime would already be processed.

This is why on Netflix, Stan, Presto, Youtube etc. you can watch from 0:00 with perfect quality if you pause at the beginning and allow the video to buffer.

Is this not the case with your EPL coverage?

If so, why not and will this be remedied in the future?

0 Kudos
Nam_L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Appreciate the feedback all, very valid ideas so we'll pass it onto our EPL team 🙂 Thank you all, for contributing.

Nam

0 Kudos
Philboi
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am also having this problem and I live in the CBD. I have Fiber to the home and stream 4k netflix with absolutely no delay or so called "Buffering".

Yet when I can click highlights in optus sport the first 23 seconds is blurry and even if I pause it or reload. No matter how I tinker the first 23 seconds is blurry. Why are we paying the price we pay to get such terrible coverage ? I want to do the right thing and pay to watch the EPL but this is infuriating and unacceptableScreenshot 2016-09-11 07.42.56.png

0 Kudos
Hollie
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Philboi, was your Internet connection through Optus or an alternate provider? If you stream a game live do you have the same problems? Are you watching this via one of our Fetch TV boxes or via the App on a phone or PC/ Apple TV? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Philboi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi. My internet connection is through wondercomm. I have no issues with PSN streaming and apple TV gen 4  streaming. The speed i posted was with my macbook pro computer which is using the wireless network. I typically get 4K on Netflix with no issues whatsoever.

I am watching this on my mac computer but get the same problems with the app. I have tried safari and chrome with no difference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Hollie
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hmm ok - are you able to give our TV & Content tech team a buzz on 1800230158? They can have a bit more of an indepth look at the streaming quality you're seeing and may have some hints & tips to improve it.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Jerryj67
New Contributor
New Contributor

Any updates for this issue?

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey @Jerry, I'd need to check in with one of the guys whose offered to send this through to our content team. At this time I've not yet received any updates for this one. What sort of connection are you running on at home?

A slower connection speed will also contribute to a longer than normal buffering time. Are you finding that it's only EPL content that seems to take longer than it should to load? Dan 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Jerryj67
New Contributor
New Contributor

Other streaming services are fine. I have download speeds of at least 8mbps 

It is only annoying for highlights as the time it takes to become a clear picture is annoying 

Thiis also happens on my fetch box but the time it takes to bccome focussed is less

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

That makes complete sense to me @Jerryj67. Obviously if you're wanting to catch highlights - having the service buffer through the first 20 - 30 crucial seconds doesn't make for a good experience. I'll have a chat with a couple of guys and see if there's a fix in the making. Even a longer introduction before the actual highlight commences might be a temporary fix here. Dan 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos