Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
GB01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Very poor quality for first 10-20 seconds

when streaming games on my iPad, iPhone or computer the first 10-20 seconds is exceptionally poor quality.

It's then fine.

i thought it might be my internet and slow loading/buffering but if that was the case when I rewind back to the start it should be fine, or if I start it and then pause it for a few minutes it should be fine.

this isn't the case.

regardless of anything I do, the first 10-20 seconds is very pixelated.

in games this isn't too bad but when trying to watch highlights, I'm missing the first play every time.

Is this just me or is it a problem with your service?

thanks

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Sam_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Very poor quality for first 10-20 seconds

Hey @GB01 - have you noticed this with your Fetch as well or just the apps? Is this the same when you load the highlights via home WiFi and the mobile network? While it's normal for a short buffering period to occur at the beginning of a stream we wouldn't want this to affect the rest of your viewing experience.

0 Kudos
GB01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sam, 

No it doesn't appear to happen on the Fetch, just the apps and computer browser.

Happens whether on mobile or wifi and whether I leave it to load, try to watch it straight away or play for 10 min and then go back to the start. Seems to be more a problem with the app/content itself rather than my reception/internet.

0 Kudos
Sam_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yeah I see what you mean. I'll pass this on to our Content team as it seems to affect a few people (varying in severity). Cheers

0 Kudos
Dingwall
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am getting this too

• the setting is on best available
  • on laptop, ipad or mirroring, the first 10-20 seconds is blurry then rectifies to Ok quality
  • As the highlights launch immediately, the highlights in the blurry phase are not seen so 10% of the highlights are basically unviewable
  • This content is video surely like a youtube video or netflix. Why on earth would it not stream clearly from the get go ?
  • Very frustrating as it happens when streaming a game live as well
0 Kudos
Sam_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I hear you @Dingwall. All of this is being passed on to our TV and Content team - thanks for letting us know. I'm unsure if anything can be done in relation to the time frame it takes from launching a connection to this reflecting HD quality however we'll do our best to find a happy medium.

0 Kudos
Dingwall
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is there any progress on this ? I just watched the fantasy league segment and it is crystal clear from the start. Then try to watch a 2 minutes highlights of a game and the first 20 seconds is blurry. What on earth is the difference ?

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Hey @GB01 and @Dingwall, on a webstream it's normal for the first 20-30 seconds to be like that, this is because the stream is trying to establish a connection. Let us know if the wait times is more than this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Dingwall
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Really ?!???! I have never seen that before on webstreams. If this is really the case and normal then OPTUS needs to pad the first 10-20 seconds. The OPTUS "webstream" needs to have an intro section for the first 10-20 seconds so we can avoid the blurry and actually see the full highlights.

Is everyone getting this ??

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Hey @Dingwall, I myself get this on my Yes TV by Fetch connected to NBN. I've passed on your feedback to our EPL team. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos