cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Dingwall
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Very poor quality for first 10-20 seconds

Another prompt for some fixes to this. I visited a friend in Sydney who has the same problem.... quite annoyed particularly with the highlights often missing the first goal due to porr quality.

I am on Telstra with 100Mbps download speed on direct cable and 85ish on wireless upstairs. Getting the buffering on everything including the shows available seems unbelievable today - I do see that he he fuzziness at the start of "shows" is not as bad as the game replays or highlights. All seem to be the first 20 seconds then the picture clears.

Please - this can't be normal streaming !!!

0 Kudos
tvedtem
New Contributor
New Contributor

+1  from me, I have Optus cable internet - 30Mbps downloads, but the first 20 seconds of all clips is very blocky (to the point where I cannot see what's happening), after that it clears, usually bang on 20 seconds, occasionally 30.  Rewinding has no effect.

0 Kudos
Alex_H
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@tvedtem - sorry that you've been having troubles with this 😞  Are you getting 30mbps speeds via Ethernet? How does it go via Wi-Fi? What device are you using there and how are you connected? 

0 Kudos
Duano2
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey Optus!!

I'd also like to know if there is any progress on this problem?

Every bit of content I watch no matter whether its live footage, highlights or news I get super poor quality for approximately the first 20secs of a video.

I watch both on my VDSL connection at home and via my 4g connection on my mobile and I get the same experience every time no matter what. I have other friends that have this experience too and we all have different connection speeds.

As per previous posts can there be a 20sec filler at the start of any streaming/footage to eliminate the frustrations of watching a blurred and pixelated video and missing out on seeing a highlight of Payet dribbling past half a team and scoring (about 20sec worth).

I understand from previous replies that this has been passed on to other teams within Optus for a fix, but it makes sense until then that the filler idea would be a good solution!!

Please pass this feedback on and provide us with a constructive answer.

Cheers Duane.

Quality/Timing Comparison

0 Kudos
Guy
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi Duano. Our EPL broadcasts use adaptive streaming technology so ensure a good experience on a number of different devices, speeds and networks, so the stream works out the best codec which is why it takes a while and settles down once it finds the optimal settings. I understand how frustrating this must be, especially when watching hightlights,  and we're trying to speed up that process. We have no news to share on this yet. But it's part of the nature of streaming.

0 Kudos
tvedtem
New Contributor
New Contributor

Was using a linux desktop (far end of house) + a macbook pro (near the router)

However... all seems OK today - have repositioned the router sightly...  Pretty sure that's for the 1st time.

Did anything change on your side ?

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey @tvedtem, thanks for keeping us updated. Out of curiosity by how roughly how much has buffering decreased on your end? As far I'm aware there's been no significant changes on our end. I'm definitely glad to hear that the issue has seemed to have resolved itself with some slight manoeuvring of your router. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
lawcy123
New Contributor
New Contributor

The main problem for me is that this 20sec of poor quality ruins Picture in Picture. I'm watching on a computer and whenever I toggle between games with picture in picture I still have to wait 20s for the video to clear up even though it's playing in the b/g, then when I want to go back to the game I was watching before there's still a 20s wait for that one to clear up!! There needs to be a better way to view multiple live games!!

0 Kudos
Guy
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @lawcy123. There is no manual way to change this setting at present. Although I'll pass your feedback on to the networks team for consideration.

0 Kudos
tvedtem
New Contributor
New Contributor

It's still buffering and lower quality it for 20 seconds consistently.

However, in its low-quality / blocky state you can now @ least make out what's happening (before the quality was so bad it was unviewable...)

0 Kudos